Worn bits - I've had my fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
@Blue Hills, replaceable rings are undoubtedly superior, but you have to remember most of my bikes hail from the budget end of the market and I sometimes didn't even buy them at all, so I've ended up with a motley collection of on-bike and spare donor mechanical parts that were built down to a cost to keep the bike ticket price in the shop low. I'm no equipment snob, so if something works OK I'll use it until it wears out even if it looks an eyesore. i wouldn't dream of getting rid of something because it was all scuffed or rusty looking. I may well relegate it to hack bike use, but it ain't going in the bin until it's totally worn out.

I take great care of my bikes. I don't ride and throw in the garage.

You know, that's exactly the sort of low level comment that puts me off this forum. Smart arses taking the higher ground. Get lost.
Rise above it!

Lovacott

Über Member
@Blue Hills, replaceable rings are undoubtedly superior.
It's all about the economics.

My low end Shimano crankset cost £19.00 and (with care and proper use) should last quite a while. When it fails, I can replace it with the spare I bought at the same time as I bought the replacement.

They were so cheap, I bought two of them a few weeks back with one for the bike and one for the spares box (I've also got a couple of new chains, a freewheel and a full mechanical disc brake set in the spares box as well). If I see a vendor selling parts cheaply which I will need in maybe six months to a years time, I buy them now.

When I hear stories of £50 single replacement chainrings, I shudder. I'm not knocking high end components, you get what you pay for.

But that level of spending is out of my league. I like bikes, but I don't like them £50 per chainring much.

(unless of course I win the lottery).

Lovacott

Über Member
Last year I killed a new chain and cassette in one ride, Wales rain and sand coastal 50 mile ride, also killed my headset, wheel and bb bearings
I cleaned the bike at work today during my lunch break, shined it up with GT85 and oiled the chain with a decent quality chain lube.

This is what it looks like 10 miles later.

1613764718303.png

Lovacott

Über Member
Been a long time since I saw anything like that, probably 30+ yrs?
They've come on a bit since then.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
*UPDATE*
Well well well - nothing wrong with the rear mech - the reason the gears are not moving is because the damn cable is jammed in the shifter. Just like this post https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/jammed-rear-tiagra-gear-cable.245752/
I hope I can follow the advice and salvage it. Cable is new, and it won't budge.

Have now fixed the rear disc pad.

Just the headset, casette, chain and large chainring to sort.

Oh, and I spent 3 hours servicing my other bike, a 2009 Giant Defy which has done over 30,000 miles. I don't look ater my bikes btw.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

And the poor shopkeeper who spent his time assessing the faults and telling you what you needed to do doesn't get a penny for his time and trouble.... Nice?
Funny you should say that - Firstly - I actually offered to pay for the time the mechanic spent assessing my bike. I insisted. He said save your money for the parts! I take all my bikes there for jobs I cannot do - I am very honest about the fact. Secondly, I actually donated some money to a crowdfunding page a few years ago when the shop was having some issues (not money issues).

On the list of jobs I leave to the pros:

- Headsets - I replaced one once - it was not pleasant
- Sealed BBs - I dont have the tools
- Spokes and wheel alignment

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
*UPDATE*
Well well well - nothing wrong with the rear mech - the reason the gears are not moving is because the damn cable is jammed in the shifter. Just like this post https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/jammed-rear-tiagra-gear-cable.245752/
I hope I can follow the advice and salvage it. Cable is new, and it won't budge.
I'm confused now. Did you fit a new cable before the bike was taken to the shop, or has the cable been fitted and jamming occured since the shop inspected the bike?

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I'm confused now. Did you fit a new cable before the bike was taken to the shop, or has the cable been fitted and jamming occured since the shop inspected the bike?
the cable broke in December, it was replaced by a different lbs who are a giant dealer en route to work.

Top Bottom