Worn cassette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Damianevans

Hello everybody. I wonder if you could help. My chain was slipping on the front cogs under load, like peddling away from stand still. It go progressively worse, so I checked the chain, and found it worn, so I replaced it. Now, I get slipping on rear two middle cogs of the cassette. I've indexed them lots of times, adjusted tension etc, but as soon as any load is applied, the chain kind of clicks and slips. Do you think the two middle cogs of the cassette are worn? Photos attached. Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190509_194203.jpg
    IMG_20190509_194203.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190509_194157.jpg
    IMG_20190509_194157.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190509_194150.jpg
    IMG_20190509_194150.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20190509_194144.jpg
    IMG_20190509_194144.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 25

Slioch

Guru
Looks worn. Time to replace the cassette.

One of the things to look for is any teeth which start to look like sharks fins. You've got a few of those.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You can't tell if a cassette is worn too far by looking/inspection. You can get 'chaincheckers' which indicate that your chain is elongated beyond a certain percentage (eg 0.75%). If that shows, change the chain asap (but do not throw the old chain away). You may have caught wear on the cassette early enough for a new chain to work on the old cassette.
If, going out for a quick test, when you put some power on, the chain starts skating (will likely happen on only one sprocket at first so try a bit of power on a range of sprockets) then put the old chain back on and ride on, till 1000s of miles down the road it skates. Then change both chain and cassette at the same time.
If, with the new chain on, you put some power on and all is good (ie the chain doesn't skate on any sprocket), you have caught wear on the cassette early enough for a new chain to work on the old cassette. Happy days - ride on, till 1000s of miles down the road it skates. Then change both chain and cassette at the same time.
Some riders manage to get their cassette to work with 3 (even 4) chains before needing to change the cassette. This relies on recording distance ridden and knowing how long (distance) the chain will do before elongating too much, and replacing the chain before significant elongation. The economics of trying to run several chains with one cassette depend on the cost of the cassette and chains (so 11sp and/or high end cassette may make that protocol worth it). Many just replace both when skating occurs and let them both wear together in harmony.

Top Bottom