Worn Chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ailibo

Hey, I'm a beginner commuter cyclist and bought a triban 500 SE after Christmas and have been riding about 20 miles a day since then, the biggest chainring (I think it's Shimano Claris 50T) has become worn since I mostly ride on that one and am looking to replace it.

I've looked around but can only find the full crankset for ~£50 but was expecting to pay maybe £10-£20 for just the chainring since the whole bike only cost ~£300 and can't seem to find anywhere selling the individual chainring.

Anyway, here's the question, does anyone know where I can buy a replacement for the chainring or if I can just buy a similar chainring and use that, I'm new to all this so I have no idea what I'm doing.

TLDR; need new chainring to replace Shimano Claris 50T but can't find it online and don't know what will replace it.

Fubar

Guru
Hey, I'm a beginner commuter cyclist and bought a triban 500 SE after Christmas and have been riding about 20 miles a day since then, the biggest chainring (I think it's Shimano Claris 50T) has become worn since I mostly ride on that one and am looking to replace it.

I've looked around but can only find the full crankset for ~£50 but was expecting to pay maybe £10-£20 for just the chainring since the whole bike only cost ~£300 and can't seem to find anywhere selling the individual chainring.

Anyway, here's the question, does anyone know where I can buy a replacement for the chainring or if I can just buy a similar chainring and use that, I'm new to all this so I have no idea what I'm doing.

TLDR; need new chainring to replace Shimano Claris 50T but can't find it online and don't know what will replace it.

I've got a Triban 3 and thought I was being really pro-active replacing the chain as it had stretched - that only served to highlight that the chainrings and cassette were worn, a fact I discovered on a fast and hilly 70-mile ride when I was stuck in the big ring.

My point being that you could replace one ring but you may find the whole chain set needs doing - something to watch out for. I also couldn't separate the big ring from the rest so just bought a replacement set from Decathlon along with a new cassette, wasn't too pricey if I remember.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You need to get the BCD for the 50T chainring then any generic chain ring with this BCD should do. There are loads on Ebay shouldn't be more than £15 or £20.

Reading your post though 20 miles a day for three months shouldn't result in a chainring that needs replacing.

Cyclist33

+1 agree with Hacienda, surely the Claris is a standard market component and is built to last more than three months... what exactly is it that makes you think it's worn...

- is the chain appearing to slip on it? This could simply be a worn or stretched chain, or it might not be indexed onto the cogs correctly, or the gear cables may have stretched.
- is it making noises? Grease and oil and/or checking to see if front derailleur cage is aligned so chain doesn't rub on it.
- are the chainring's teeth uneven? This I think is part of the design of the "Hyperglide" system touted by Shimano, it apparently helps the derailleur to, er, deraille.

Chain rings last years
I wore out the middle ring of a 28/38/48 chainset from Spa, mind you it was cheap, but not any more so than a claris., mind i think it was a bit more mileage, maybe about 8-10,000 miles I guess.but much less than 2 years.

Top Bottom