Worn tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Getting some wear marks on a Michelin Pro4 Endurance tyre - equally spaced, all at an angle, a few other ones slightly off centre and larger. It's like the top layer has worn slightly and I can see a tiny bit of weave underneath, at one point there were little tufts about 1mm long poking out.

The second picture shows a tiny bulge on one of them, difficult to see but could feel it with a finger.

Is this tyre worn out? If yes then yay me because I've never managed to wear a tyre out before, but should it be binned? Potentially dangerous?

IMG_20210404_064656.jpg

IMG_20210404_064858.jpg

Is this tyre worn out?
Yes.

D

Deleted member 1258

Just because of the bulge or because of the other marks too?

I'm curious why those marks are so even, presumably down to the way the tyre is constructed rather than what it's encountered on the road.

Tyres worn out, it looks like its almost down to the carcass, those marks are the carcass showing through the rubber.

johnnyb47

Guru
It's definitely worn out and would change it now sooner than later. From past experience (when i didn't have any experience) leaving a tyre like that will usually let you down suddenly. The bulge will usually suddenly get worse whilst out riding, and sods law you'll be miles from home. My bike has very tight clearances between the tyres and frame due to stuffing 28mm tyres on it, and a bulge would end up fouling it up against the frame. For the sake of getting a few extra miles out of that tyre, i would personally change it now and save yourself some potential inconvenience down the road if it decides to let go. If it was the front i would be even more keen to of getting it changed. A sudden blow out on a front tyre at speed can be dangerous 👍

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Yeah I have a spare ready to go. I've had Conti sidewalls bulge a few times, they were renowned for it a few years back, but guess I've never had increased mileage and racier tyres at the same time before.

roley poley

Über Member
Unless you live in Yorkshire :whistle:
we call it tupped and would lever our wallets open to buy another :cry:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Is this tyre worn out?
Do you know how many miles you've done on that Pro4 Endurance and was it on front or rear?
You have worn that out very evenly: bravo!
On 2 of those (25s) both on the rear I got over 7000km. I had a puncture in the first one and, on inspection (back at home), there were a couple of places where the casing was visible. I assume those had had more wear than the rest of the tread because of a brief skid. Careless of me to leave it that long. The other one was replaced in the run up to PBP.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Do you know how many miles you've done on that Pro4 Endurance and was it on front or rear?
You have worn that out very evenly: bravo!
On 2 of those (25s) both on the rear I got over 7000km. I had a puncture in the first one and, on inspection (back at home), there were a couple of places where the casing was visible. I assume those had had more wear than the rest of the tread because of a brief skid. Careless of me to leave it that long. The other one was replaced in the run up to PBP.

Rear tyre, maybe 4-5000km and 9 months on the bike, bought from Decathlon but I don't know when it was manufactured, wonder if they could have been sat around for a while before they got sold. West of Scotland roads have been diabolical though, Glasgow in particular but some of the surrounding roads are like a farmer forgot to lift his plough before driving home.

I have one more of these tyres in the cupboard but am humming and hahing about buying any more - plus points are they're 'only' £25 a tyre so maybe better value than some other tyres that might perform better, or have better puncture protection. I've had punctures with them but it's always been bits of glass which pretty much no tyre would stop in my 100kg Glasgow experience. Conti 4 Seasons, Gatorskins and Armadillos are all out of the picture so the Pro4 Endurance might just be the best choice anyway, not read great things about their replacement Power Endurance tyres.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I think the Michelin Pro4 Endurance are an excellent 'compromise' (see other thread :rolleyes:) balancing durability, protection and cost (especially at £25). I find they come up under width but that's on a 15mm internal rim width at 90psi. I had a pair of Pro4 Service Course a while back but https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015 suggested the Endurance flavour was better. Would certainly prefer them to the GP4S (still a good choice, mind).

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I think the Michelin Pro4 Endurance are an excellent 'compromise' (see other thread :rolleyes:) balancing durability, protection and cost (especially at £25). I find they come up under width but that's on a 15mm internal rim width at 90psi. I had a pair of Pro4 Service Course a while back but https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015 suggested the Endurance flavour was better. Would certainly prefer them to the GP4S (still a good choice, mind).

Which other thread is that, I've not been browsing recently. I'm assuming there's more than one 'what tyre' thread. :smile:

Top Bottom