Worrying times.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The future looks bleak. Petrol shortages coming this week, empty shelves in shops, big increase in energy prices and food, government planning to charge per mile motoring and who knows what else.
I am getting very concerned and wondering if both of our pensions will be able to cope with it all. Worrying times indeed.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
We're dooomed - dooooomed I tell ya (Mr Mainwaring).

Slick

Guru
The future looks bleak. Petrol shortages coming this week, empty shelves in shops, big increase in energy prices and food, government planning to charge per mile motoring and who knows what else.
I am getting very concerned and wondering if both of our pensions will be able to cope with it all. Worrying times indeed.
There may well be some shortages but can't see it being too much of an issue for most of us who are capable of or even know what going without is all about. Can't see it putting an awful lot of pressure on your pension but I can see why it may feel like that at times. Watch less news and enjoy life more, would be my advice. :okay:

Sharky

Guru
For me it is the reverse. All through my working life, bringing up children, I've been skint. Sometimes living off my overdraft. Fortunately, I've always paid into a company pension and now that I'm retired (5 yrs), only got one daughter living at home and expenditure much reduced, I'm finding that we live comfortably off our pensions. The "lump sums" from the pensions are mostly intact, sitting in an ISA for a "rainy day" and I know we will have to change our car later this year and we will want to take a holiday next year.

We are in the same house we moved into in 1982 and within walking distance, there is co-op, waitrose plus bakers, DIY, motoring shop and the station, then 30 mins into London.

So, no longer worried about the future, just worried that the future may not be as long as we'd hope for.

Slick

Guru
For me it is the reverse. All through my working life, bringing up children, I've been skint. Sometimes living off my overdraft. Fortunately, I've always paid into a company pension and now that I'm retired (5 yrs), only got one daughter living at home and expenditure much reduced, I'm finding that we live comfortably off our pensions. The "lump sums" from the pensions are mostly intact, sitting in an ISA for a "rainy day" and I know we will have to change our car later this year and we will want to take a holiday next year.

We are in the same house we moved into in 1982 and within walking distance, there is co-op, waitrose plus bakers, DIY, motoring shop and the station, then 30 mins into London.

So, no longer worried about the future, just worried that the future may not be as long as we'd hope for.
Nice. Enjoy. :okay:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Perhaps im sheltered where i live, but im really not experiencing the shortages people are reporting. I went to a supermarket today, it was well stocked, i didn't even give it much thought. Is this the Daily flail's scaremongering at work?

Charging for driving by the mile is obviously the way the government are going to plug the hole left by emissions based VED as more and more switch to electric. All predictable stuff.

Mike_P

Guru
Its variable shortages - local big Sainsburys has some empty shelves but then thats quite normal with Sainsburys seemingly inept ability to keep shelves stocked at the best of times. Waitrose had no frozen veg or potatoe products last Saturday which made me suspect failed freezers rather than a stock shortage. Aldi and Lidl as always seem well stocked and given they operate on the basis of stock shifting quickly logic would say they would be the first to suffer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Perhaps im sheltered where i live, but im really not experiencing the shortages people are reporting. I went to a supermarket today, it was well stocked, i didn't even give it much thought. Is this the Daily flail's scaremongering at work?

Charging for driving by the mile is obviously the way the government are going to plug the hole left by emissions based VED as more and more switch to electric. All predictable stuff.

I have noticed big gaps in the shelves, but there is always an 'alternative' product, no big deal. The shortages may be medium term, who knows. The problem is the idiots that panic buy, and leave the rest who are buying normally without.

carpiste

Guru
If I lived in the Sudan or Afghanistan or any of the stans for that matter I`d be worried. Fortunately we live in a country where we have the means to go to a local Lidl, buy cheap food, go home and cook it and then watch tv. Most of us seem to be able to afford internet, telephones, goodies from the biscuit aisle and have hot and cold running water.
I`m retired and, actually, for the past 6 years never had it so good as I no longer have to spend a fortune on petrol to get me to work and expensive food and snacks to help me through the day. We`ve both got to an age where we realise things( that you need to spend cash on) are not essential and not necessary.
We are not at war, don`t go hungry and are fully vaccinated from covid. We feel safe and we enjoy life and as we don`t have to work we have no stress.
Life is a wonderful thing and life in the UK is especially so.^_^

Top Bottom