worship music.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Not particularly worship music but I think they class themselves as Christian rock, one of my favourite groups is Skillet. They prove you can do heavy rock with the profanities. Their music doesn't preach but there is an underlying message of faith if you listen to the lyrics, not that I'm religious in any way.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I guess I tend to favour more traditional worship music, but I also like to listen to these people who always seem to fill the house wherever they go.

Alex321

Veteran
l

Never quite understood what that means. Presumably an american insult of some kind.

I should perhaps say my "modern music"
post was slightly tongue in cheek albeit looks serious in retrospect

Boomer is not an insult particularly, but just a reference to your age, missing "baby" from the front but implying you are of the "baby boomer" generation (which is people born between the end of WW2 and sometime in the mid 60s).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd struggle to categorise Gospel music as "modern". (unless you are a geologist ... ;-) )

Opinions will differ but a quick google....

When did gospel music first start?
Gospel music can be traced to the early 17th century. Hymns and sacred songs were often performed in a call and response fashion, heavily influenced by ancestral African music. Most of the churches relied on hand-clapping and foot-stomping as rhythmic accompaniment.

The first published use of the term "Gospel song" probably appeared in 1874 when Philip Bliss released a songbook entitled Gospel Songs. A Choice Collection of Hymns and Tunes. It was used to describe a new style of church music, songs that were easy to grasp and more easily singable than the traditional church hymns, which came out of the mass revival movement starting with Dwight L. Moody, whose musician was Ira D. Sankey, as well as the Holiness-Pentecostal movement.[3] Prior to the meeting of Moody and Sankey in 1870, there was an American rural/frontier history of revival and camp meeting songs, but the gospel hymn was of a different character, and it served the needs of mass revivals in the great cities.

In the pantheon of sacred singing I'd put' Gospel' as most people would recognise it into the modern era....

Fab Foodie

I'd say "early music" is pre 1600 though some would allow the 17th century too. My example upthread was 11th century

Modern music starts maybe with the Rite of Spring from 1913 or perhaps Schoenberg's Pierrot Lunaire from a year earlier

I reckon the turning point is Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune by Claude Debussy - written in 1894

Opinions will differ but a quick google....

When did gospel music first start?
Gospel music can be traced to the early 17th century. Hymns and sacred songs were often performed in a call and response fashion, heavily influenced by ancestral African music. Most of the churches relied on hand-clapping and foot-stomping as rhythmic accompaniment.

The first published use of the term "Gospel song" probably appeared in 1874 when Philip Bliss released a songbook entitled Gospel Songs. A Choice Collection of Hymns and Tunes. It was used to describe a new style of church music, songs that were easy to grasp and more easily singable than the traditional church hymns, which came out of the mass revival movement starting with Dwight L. Moody, whose musician was Ira D. Sankey, as well as the Holiness-Pentecostal movement.[3] Prior to the meeting of Moody and Sankey in 1870, there was an American rural/frontier history of revival and camp meeting songs, but the gospel hymn was of a different character, and it served the needs of mass revivals in the great cities.

In the pantheon of sacred singing I'd put' Gospel' as most people would recognise it into the modern era....

OK boomer.

Fab Foodie

I rather agree now I think about it

To be fair it's from this fabulous documentary series: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qnp5f

Utterly brilliant and informative!
It makes the case that that 'Prelude' broke the mould ushering-in an era where the usual metrics of 'classical music' had changed and become acceptable. Salome, Petrushka, Rite of Spring, Verklarte Nacht, Maessien etc....
Must watch again!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
To be fair it's from this fabulous documentary series: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qnp5f

Utterly brilliant and informative!
It makes the case that that 'Prelude' broke the mould ushering-in an era where the usual metrics of 'classical music' had changed and become acceptable. Salome, Petrushka, Rite of Spring, Verklarte Nacht, Maessien etc....
Must watch again!

Thanks for the link. I'll be watching those

A good book on "modern" music is "The Rest is Noise". Broadened my horizons into proper modern music ("pling plong" music one might say) which I'd previously rather dismissed

Top Bottom