Worst band ever?

the worst band in the world

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I went a really nice trip today with friends here... but the one thing that almost ruined it was that for the first hour of the journey, my friend insisted on playing Rush. Now, I have never really paid much attention to the Canadian prog outfit before, but for ****'s sake, what an awful, horrible band from start to finish, the most pretentious songs that would be funny if they didn't seem to go on for ever, with interminable twiddly guitar parts, and countless drum solos, topped off by that evil screeching ninny of a singer. I honestly think that if I ever have to listen to more than a few seconds of this turgid, vile creation ever again, I will seriously have to take up harming small fluffy creatures, or machine-gunning passers-by just to make the noise in my head stop. Goddamn it, that was painful!

Now I have seen plenty of men of a certain age on this forum and elsewhere going on about Rush as if they were some kind of god-like figures but seriously, is there something wrong with your hearing or musical sensibility? Do you have a heightened tolerance for screaming cats and blackboards being scraped....? I mean that might work if it was somehow challenging or radical, but Rush are like the arse-end of prog, which is the arse-end of popular music anyway.

Now, I really don't want to hear any defence of Rush because there simply is none, but do tell us, anybody, what your vote for the worst band ever is and why. I don't mean overrated (we've done that one several times), I mean what band is really the worst thing you have heard. Give reasons and be as rude as you like, after all, bad music is offensive and deserves a good kicking.

derall

Guru
Marillion.

Reasons? Exactly the same as given for hating Rush.

Quoth

Oasis, without a doubt. Sub-par northern pub rock with crappy Mancunian sneer thrown in for extra nausea. Well done, you're a worthless dole-chimp from a dead post-industrial town with no reason to exist anymore. Tell us about "yer mam".

Their music is so generic that it could have been written and performed by a slice of white bread. I could fart better tunes with a kazoo jammed up my arse. And I'm willing to prove it on live television.

Durran Durran need no explanation.
Oarsis, a right pair of cnuts.
The Jam, how the fcuk did that one with the back to front hair-do manage to achieve the status of 'musical genius'? He's now droning out the same old po-faced bluesy rock shoot to which New Wave was supposed to be an antidote.

Abitrary

I used to have a rush song on a heavy metal compilation tape, right after 'end of the world' by gary moore, and right before 'diary of a madman' by ozzy osbourne.

The fact I don't remember the rush song is testament to how insipid they are. It had keyboards on it. And drums. Lots of drums.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Dave5N said:
Nope. It's Coldplay.

oh yes indeed. :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
I like Rush. But not their early stuff, or the later stuff. They were pretty good between all that pseudo-heavy crap like Bastille Day and the point where they all disappeared up their own peanuts somewhere in the mid 80s. Trouble is they mixed styles, and as a threesome all had such massive egos that the music seemed to revolve around technical excellence. It left Geddy Lee struggling to fit Peart's turgid lyrics round Lifeson's uninspiring guitar playing, and his own keyboard skills, while Peart appeared to be simply showing off with the bigest drum-kit in the world. I found them great as a teenager with albums like Signals and Grace Under Pressure, but the rest became too dull to bother with.

Quoth said:
Oasis, without a doubt. Sub-par northern pub rock with crappy Mancunian sneer thrown in for extra nausea. Well done, you're a worthless dole-chimp from a dead post-industrial town with no reason to exist anymore. Tell us about "yer mam".

Their music is so generic that it could have been written and performed by a slice of white bread. I could fart better tunes with a kazoo jammed up my arse. And I'm willing to prove it on live television.

:laugh::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom