Worst bit of kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Yep, I've tried the Gators. I had three punctures on the way into work one morning (turned out to be a tiny shard of glass embedded between the tread and inner wall so it was undetectable by the roadside, but dug itself into the tube as soon as the bike hit a bump), and went to the bike shop in the village at lunchtime to get a tube.

They talked a good game and sold me a pair of hamster skins (to be honest I probably was moaning about punctures) as well as a tube, assuring me I'd never get another puncture. I put up with them for nearly a month - far and away the most unpleasant and unresponsive tyres I've used. One puncture was all the excuse I needed to take them off the bike, and the bike felt completely transformed with new tyres (cheapo Schwalbe Luganos, which shows just how bad the Gatorskins are).

Oddly enough I replaced the Luganos with Conti Ultrasports on that bike, and they're superb tyres for the money; roll very well, nice ride, and only one puncture in the last year.
I have moved to Conti 4000s and 4 Seasons but although I found the Gatorskins a poor ride, P* resistance was fine over several years of using them. I also have 32mm Gator Hardshells on a tourer and feel much nicer and no P* visits in 1000+ miles so far.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Continental UltraHamsterSkins. Fitted to replace some Vredestein Fortezzas that had never punctured.

Two punctures in the first fortnight. On examination, they were studded with shards of embedded glass. In the bin they went. Back to Fortezzas.

I got some of them to try on a commute a few years back. Got a puncture after 3 days and by time I’d stopped the rim had ripped the ultra thin side casing rendering them useless. Went back to my usual make / model of tyres.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Second worst must be Schwalbe Duranos (on Rigida Nova rims). Fit tyre. Inflate tyre. BANG! Silly boy, must have trapped tube under bead. Repeat. BANG! Oh ffs, I'm losing my touch. Repeat. BANG!

Check sidewall. Max pressure 110psi. Oh. The previous tyres on those rims had a min pressure of 115psi and a max pressure of 185psi and I was trying to put 140psi in the rear. Pathetic tyres.

By reputation, the Campagnolo Sport front changer:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/components/campag-front-changers.html
I never used one myself but saw a couple of them on bikes that were in use. Apparently, it was almost impossible to use without getting your hand mangled in the chain and chainwheel from time to time. Great marques can have humble beginnings — they are certainly evidence for the value of continued product development.
This crops up yearly on road.cc
https://road.cc/content/feature/190040-retro-shimano-and-campagnolos-greatest-design-blunders

Top Bottom