Worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
Substantial dent on top tube, it’s alloy, worth a punt or scrap?

Attachments

• 19B67DEE-ADC6-4750-B30B-BE8FAE0DCBC7.png
    19B67DEE-ADC6-4750-B30B-BE8FAE0DCBC7.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 11

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If it’s cheap enough then worth something for the parts, unfortunately the frame is scrap.

si_c

Guru
Can't really tell from the photo what the condition of the rest of the tube is in. I'd be wary though.

yes i can't really see it properly.
I managed to dent (not sure how) the top tube of a new expedition bike which carries a lot of weight but have been lead to believe that it is still structurally OK.
Edit, should maybe point out that this bike is steel. I was gutted when i discovered it, together with bad scratches, but think it is ok. And it's a tourer, so battlescars.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You could make a hole the same size as the tube from a block of hardwood, cut it in half, place the two halves around the tube and screw them together as you wind the block around the dent. That may minimize the dent. May.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd ride it if it was cheap enough and i just wanted a hack bike to leave leaning up against lamp posts whilst I was in the shop/pub. I wouldn't pay proper money for it, and I wouldn't attempt to remove the dent or tidy it up. The block of wood trick will not work on any frame tube which was not designed to be perfectly round. You won't be able to recover the dent out of a modern hydroformed alloy bike with weird shaped frame tubes. They were not drawn as cylinders so cannot be "repaired" by the method suggested.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I'd ride it if it was cheap enough and i just wanted a hack bike to leave leaning up against lamp posts whilst I was in the shop/pub. I wouldn't pay proper money for it, and I wouldn't attempt to remove the dent or tidy it up. The block of wood trick will not work on any frame tube which was not designed to be perfectly round. You won't be able to recover the dent out of a modern hydroformed alloy bike with weird shaped frame tubes. They were not drawn as cylinders so cannot be "repaired" by the method suggested.

Yes, a pub bike. Cheap enough not to bother locking it up, or no point.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Round my way you even have to lock up a skip rescue Apollo, or it'll still go missing, A drinking pal had his hardtail one nicked from some railings after it had a puncture so he locked it up and got the bus. It went missing about a week later.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you get it for the right price, I think it will be fine - If the tube isn't bent, and just dented it will be OK. I'd cover the dent with a sticker, or even just fill it and sticker it if it bothers you.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That's more than I would pay for just a knockabout bike. It'll never be nice and would be hard to resell even though it's almost certainly perfectly safe to ride.
Alloy frames and disc brakes really aren't my thing though, so for me to take any interest it would have to be a real giveway not just a bit cheaper than a straight one.

Top Bottom