Worth going back to Halfords?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Bought this thing from Halfords as my other one had snapped - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_708505_langId_-1_categoryId_165636 - took it home, threw the packaging and receipt away and fitted it. It's crap. The rubber strip that makes it adjustable means that you can't get it tight so it just falls down and the light points towards the ground whenever you hit a bump and it's completely useless in the rain, just slides all over the place.

Since I don't have the receipt, would Halfords switch it for the plastic version, the one I previously had? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_708503_langId_-1_categoryId_165636 - I don't have the receipt but I reserved it online and picked it up in store so I'm sure they have the details stored in their computer system.

Maz

Guru
Yes, I say try taking it back - nothing to lose.
They may insist on you getting a voucher instead of a refund, which is fine if you want an exchange.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Yes, I say try taking it back - nothing to lose.
They may insist on you getting a voucher instead of a refund, which is fine if you want an exchange.

Yup, not wanting a refund, the plastic bracket is £1 which I'm more than happy to pay so a voucher would make sense. Would they do it despite having no receipt? I ordered it online so I imagine they'd have my details and I still have my order number.

Maz

Guru
Yup, not wanting a refund, the plastic bracket is £1 which I'm more than happy to pay so a voucher would make sense. Would they do it despite having no receipt? I ordered it online so I imagine they'd have my details and I still have my order number.
I think they will do, out of good will at least. Even more so, if you ordered online.
Did you get a confirmation email when you placed the order?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I think they will do, out of good will at least. Even more so, if you ordered online.

Brilliant, will be dropping my bike off into my LBS tomorrow so I'll pop down into Halfords too. Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

simon.r

Person
I know Halfords get knocked a lot on this forum and often justifiably, but I've laways found them to be very good on refunds. I've taken back broken tools with no receipt and had them replaced with no fuss at all. (Their 'Professional' range of tools with a lifetime guarantee).

On the other hand, daft as it sounds, there's no 'fault' with the product you bought. OK, it's crap, but it's not damaged or broken.

I'd try taking it back, but wouldn't expect a refund. If you do get one I'd regard it as a bonus:smile:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I know Halfords get knocked a lot on this forum and often justifiably, but I've laways found them to be very good on refunds. I've taken back broken tools with no receipt and had them replaced with no fuss at all. (Their 'Professional' range of tools with a lifetime guarantee).

On the other hand, daft as it sounds, there's no 'fault' with the product you bought. OK, it's crap, but it's not damaged or broken.

I'd try taking it back, but wouldn't expect a refund. If you do get one I'd regard it as a bonus:smile:

I haven't had any huge issues with Halfords and their customer service is fairly good in my store. Not expecting a refund but I would like a exchange but I won't be disappointed if they say no because, like you said, it's not faulty - just crap.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There's a ;esson to be learned thought.

Keep the packaging and receipt until you have fitted and used a purchase.....

Globalti

Legendary Member
Big organisations operate a standard corporate policy on refunds and returns, somebody like M&S is probably the best but nowadays most have got the message and will conform. That gives employees no reason to argue because the decision has been taken out of their hands. It's when you fall on the miserable sole trader type businesses that you might get some grief back.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I haven't had any huge issues with Halfords and their customer service is fairly good in my store. Not expecting a refund but I would like a exchange but I won't be disappointed if they say no because, like you said, it's not faulty - just crap.
Might not be faulty but if "crap" is another way of saying "not fit for purpose" then that in itself is justification for an exchange.

Thomk

Guru
You don't need a receipt if you can show in other ways that the item was purchased from Halfords. The item doesn't need to be damaged if you can show that it is not fit for purpose. In any case I expect they will exchange/refund it without a second thought.

A handy tip for reducing the tendency of your lights pointing to the ground due to slipping brackets:

Hang the light from the underside of your bars rather than put them on top.

Sandra6

Veteran
Strictly speaking they don't have to refund it unless you have proof of purchase, even if it is faulty. But, generally they will let you exchange it for something else.
If it was me, I 'd just let you take the other one and pay the difference without quibbling. Some other members of staff are not so helpful.
But we do get a lot of less honest people nicking similar items then returning them, and even people who bought things in other shops try to get refunds from us, and after years sometimes.

penguinking9

As it was an item ordered on-line wouldn't the order number suffice as proof of purchase, along with some form of ID?

Top Bottom