Worth spending on bits for a cheap bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dee.jay

Network Ninja
Well it is inevitable that I would be thinking about this, but would like 2nd opinion, though I think I know already what the opinion is going to be on this one.

I have a rather cheap bike from Halfords - just to get me started. Is it worth spending on bits for it? Or saving up for a better bike?

The reason I bought a cheap bike to begin with is to make sure I will like cycling and I think I can safely say I will.

I've bought new tyres, but don't want to go mad, but is there anything else I can replace on the bike to make it a bit easier to ride? I would imagine I've already changed the biggest component already though!

Drago

Legendary Member
What bike is it?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It is tempting to throw money at a new toy and I think we have all been there .
I bought a Defy 5 to see if I liked cycling and after wanting to upgrade it I decided to buy a better bike . Now I am upgrading that all the cast offs are going on the Defy 5
Soon it will be a DefyTCR1 advanced monster :laugh: But its fun to play with toys ^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ime you would be better spending on stuff you can then use on your (inevitable) next bike: maybe rack and panniers, lights, saddle bag, a track pump, some basic good tools. You could also get new handlebar grips, saddle and pedals, those can be transferred to N+1.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Confirmed my thoughts - thank you.

Can I add panniers to my cheap MTB?
Does it have the eyelets on the frame to screw a rack on?
Mind, you can also get racks that hold on the seat post, they can carry less weight (I think) max load is on the fitting instructions.
Forgot: if you don't have mudguards, they will assist in keeping you and the bike clean in wet weather, Those can also be fitted to the next bike, assuming you pick one that has clearance.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
if no eyelets you could use "p" clips

OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
As for the "next" bike - I don't think I want a road bike as the majority of the cycling I want to do is on cycle paths - not sure if road bikes would be suited to that?

I think a hybrid bike would be better?

For now I'll just keep cycling on my one :smile:

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Great thread and advice in it. :smile:

Personally, I've got a cheap / old bike and have spent money on her, but so far it's replenishibles which would need replacing. I have added inners, tyres, chain and water bottle holder.. oh and some sponges for the handle bars.

I do want to add panniers - need to find out what I'm lookiing for in terms of eyelets for this as not sure what mine has.. and have decided I'd like to do 'her up'.. as in strip down and respray, cables and LBS to look at the small fault of gears on the third front sprocket.

I don't see any of these as being too 'bad'. The spray won't cost a lot as I'll do it and my bike still won't be prestine, but will be better. I could spend £100 or so but then I could spend that on a bike that breaks. I'm not able to spend mega bucks so this way I'll have a working bike I can trust and have fun learning how to do it.

I have got my husband who is able to show me most things - he can't figure out the final bit of the gears so will get that to the LBS to do.. in time and just stay within the gears in the meantime.

sreten

Hi,

Decent brake pads on the front perhaps, not much else.
The bike has mounting bosses / eyelets for a rear rack.
Tyres, as you surmise make the biggest difference.

Just ride it, learn more about bikes and save up for a very nice used bike.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dee.jay

dee.jay

Network Ninja
To be honest I'm not a fan of the front forks but there isn't a lot I can do about that.

I think I'm better off saving up for something better. I think I want a Cyclocross next? Not sure how much I want to spend either yet. Thinking £600 tops?

Top Bottom