Worth the £41 to join CTC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Well, I had to be a BC member when I started competition too many years ago, and simply stayed, then one day decided to bite the bullet and take a life membership at x10 the annual fee. Less than £100 when I did that over 20 years ago, and it's a gold level automatically. Bargain, or what?
Last time I did a bit of research, BC ride membership was cheaper than CTC, and the figures speak for themselves, CTC in the 60,000s, BC high 80,000s. I just wonder how many are members of both?
What CTC lack is a proper shop window, which BC has with the GB team and all the races. I don't quite understand the comment about "money grabbing" earlier in the thread. In the end, you takes your choice, both represent reasonable value, offer similar services in legal and insurance terms, so for a non-racer it's a matter of which, and in these difficult times, price may be the difference. Which I think means BC is just cheaper in pricing, has family deals, so if that's the decider, and the value is the same, there's a logical decision. It does seem now BC are campaigning they have a lot more profile and professionalism about it, too, like the recent event at Westminster and Chris Boardman giving the transport (car driving) select committee a good ear bashing!
Declaration of interest. I don't work for BC, just an ordinary life member.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Affiliate membership of the CTC costs me £15 per year, think normal cost is about £40.
I only joined for the insurance and legal advice and it's been well used.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Well for peace of mind knowing you have third party insurance, access to a legal team, knowledgeable people to lead tours & give advice, a magazine bi monthly, & lots of local groups to ride with wherever you are, living or holidaying, I think it is pretty good value, considering it is less than £1 a week.
Of course, I could be biased, as I am a 'life' member. ^_^

Top Bottom