Worthwhile Bike Upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
That frame looks as if the machine was near the top of the range in its day and it looks well cared for. I agree with Chuffy about upgrading it only where necessary and it sound like the saddle is you main problem and I'd agree about going clipless. As far as bike-weight is concerned it's not the be all and end all - there's a lot more to performance than just a few ounces, starting with the rider;)

OP
OP
L
MichaelM said:
Still dithering over this myself.

03 Lemond 853 steel frame.Fancy a Centaur groupset with a nice set of wheels. But... for a mere £999 I could buy the Planet X pro carbon Ultegra complete bike (was drooling over one at lbs today). I wonder if I'll ever actually make the decision !

If I had your frame, I'd certainly update it rather than get something newer; in a recent edition of Cycling Weekly (March 13th), there was a review of a Brian Rourke bike which had an 853 frame. It reviewed very favourably and they stated that the bike could be used for anything - from racing (minus mudguards) to touring (with mudguards back on and a rack thrown in for good measure).

I'm going to do mine up as and when the necessity arises.

MichaelM

Guru
lastpubrunner said:
If I had your frame, I'd certainly update it rather than get something newer; in a recent edition of Cycling Weekly (March 13th), there was a review of a Brian Rourke bike which had an 853 frame. It reviewed very favourably and they stated that the bike could be used for anything - from racing (minus mudguards) to touring (with mudguards back on and a rack thrown in for good measure).

I'm going to do mine up as and when the necessity arises.

Funny, if I had yours I'd upgrade it - the lugs are more classy than than my Tig welded frame. Having said that I do like it - I've put some pics up in the gallery.

bobg

Über Member
Just noticed this ( Item No. 160223046741
rtCurve.gif
) FW Evans on E Bay, you might be interested to see what it sells for?? Best of luck with whatever you decide for yours.

Top Bottom