Wot bike - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
When I retire in about two and ( I hope ) a half years,I was going to have my beloved GT Outpost overhauled to use as an 'any weather' alternative to my Dawes audax bike. However, it transpires that the bridge tube between the chainstays behind the bottom bracket on the GT is corroding enough so as to not make it worth investing any more on said bike. :blush: Sad, but after twenty two years of almost faultless service, can't complain - !
Thus, I'm looking for a replacement. Doesn't necessarily have to be new, but as I'm a cruiser, not a speed merchant, lightness isn't a requirement.
Must be chromoly, 531 / 631/ Columbus etc..
53cm. - 55cm. frame.; although my Dawes is a 60cm.
Relaxed geometry, I do exploring type days out with the occasional overnighter planned, not 'miles to cover' targets.
Dropped bars & touring pannier racks.
26" rims preferred as we have several of said type tyres already.
Never used discs before, but open to trying them.
Not umpteen gear cassette; six to eight at most.
Any suggestions and what to avoid please - ? :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
Look at spa. They’ll build what you want. Eg wayfarer disc https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/road.cc/content/review/spa-cycles-wayfarer-2020-273269?amp

I wouldn’t choose a wheel size on the basis if having a couple of tyres in the shed! 700c is much more available in road/touring tyres

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'd recommend a Genesis Tour de Fer... one happy owner here, and it sounds like it would tick all your boxes. (Apart from wheel size, but as mentioned i wouldn't base my new bike on what spare tyres I had).

DRM

Guru
Last edited:
OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Had a look on EBay and have bought a Super Galaxy in vgc for a reasonable price. The seller lives In Norwich, so it'll be a walk there and a ride home - ! So apart from checking it over, all I'll need to do swap the touring rack, B.17 and SPDs from my GT and I'm up and rolling.
Funny 'cos over the years, I've sometimes considered getting a Galaxy, but couldn't justify it until now. There were other good ones, but in Cumbria or Bangor; a bit far, so this local one is a result - ! :okay:
But thanks for all your useful suggestions. ^_^

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Took ownership of said Galaxy and I'm amazed at the pristine condition of it - ! ^_^ By the badge, it's at least twenty years old, but the previous owner/s either hardly rode it or, if they did, absolutely babyed it all the time. There's hardly a trace of any built up dirt in any of the expected nooks & crannies, so one very well pleased bunny - ! :biggrin: And it's purple, a nice change from the 'stock' black or racing green - ! :laugh:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Well done. OH has just fixed up his 1980's Galaxy. They are lovely bikes and I'm sure it will serve you well. If yours is younger the tyres will presumably be standard sizes, but for anyone with an old Galaxy, Spa Cycles do the Schwalbe Marathon tyres that fit the old wheels.

Put a photo up if you have time.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
The tyres that are on presently are Schwalbe Delta Cruisers; 700 x 28c, the same size as the Marathon Plus on my Dawes Fox. As the Deltas are a faster tyre, I'll probably swap them over as I'll be using the Galaxy for all weather commuting and the Fox is my fun bike. No point in tempting the puncture fairy late at night - ! :whistle:

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Started the swap this morning; broke a Pedro tyre lever :angry: getting one of the Marathon Plus off my Fox, so resorted to judicious use of a Topeak metal tyre lever, job done. However, on the plus side, it was a doddle getting the same tyres onto the rims of my Galaxy without tyre levers. :okay:
At least now I won't be dreading the puncture fairy on the way home after a late shift - ! :rolleyes:
And I've decided to orde a new pair of Delta Cruisers as on closer inspection, the ones that came with the Galaxy look a bit past their best. :whistle:
Also nice to know that I now own two of the bikes featured in the Design Council's list of 'Fifty Best Bikes' - ! ^_^

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Apologies, the book title is 'Fifty Bikes that Changed the World', but still a great and sometimes surprising read - ! :okay:

Top Bottom