Would any cycle helmet have helped here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The theory is that the smooth ones are better (like for skiing). They are also bloody hot.

Regards mounting a camera on it, helmets aren't meant to have anything mounted on them; that's not what they are designed for.
One of the initial reports into Michael Schumacher's skiing accident (he was wearing a helmet, which shattered) was that his camera may have caused the helmet to break. (this wasn't in the final report mind).
Now one of the sole reasons I *do* wear a helmet is because I have helmet mounted lights (in winter), so I'm torn. (the other option, which is to mount the lights directly onto my head, is even worse as then whatever you landed on you'd also have the light pressing into your skull).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Any one who thinks there would be no difference in the outcome of a moderate impact, of head to solid object, with or without a lid, must've had a moderate impact with a solid object, without a lid.
That's lovely rhetoric with TWO huge problems:

Firstly, most people say there is a difference, but we disagree on whether difference is helpful, such as increased weight and moving the centre of gravity slightly higher.

Secondly, you're supposing that the impact would happen whether or not the rider has a (bigger, heavier) helmetted head.

It's complicated and no decent study has shown a significant advantage from a helmet, has it?

doog

Firstly, most people say there is a difference, but we disagree on whether difference is helpful, such as increased weight and moving the centre of gravity slightly higher.

Secondly, you're supposing that the impact would happen whether or not the rider has a (bigger, heavier) helmetted head.

It's complicated and no decent study has shown a significant advantage from a helmet, has it?

Rhetoric, HUGE and complicated ?

You said it..probably enough for most to err on the side of caution until a decent study is completed, I mean show us a decent study that states there is a significant disadvantage from wearing a helmet.

Drago

Legendary Member
You might want to Google "rotational head injury cycle helmet." That's a pretty big downside. Wearing one 'just to be safe' is a slightly suspect stance when as little research has been done into the cons as there has the pros.

JMAG

Über Member

I came off my bike 10 days ago and my lardy behind overtook my moobs before I landed on my head. Is it really possible that my helmet caused me to land on my head?

My helmet weighs 320g including a bit of sweat (I've just got back from a ride) and adds 39 mm to my height. I'm 1,780mm tall and weigh 81,700g (both without helmet). Can anyone with a love of numbers calculate the difference in CoG my helmet causes?

Seriously though, I can see an argument for rotational injuries, but CoG and topple factor due to increased weight up top is a bit much. If anyone is really worried about this it could be easily countered by wearing some heavy boots or sticking loose change down your socks.

screenman

Legendary Member
Did anyone see G's crash helmet hit that post yesterday? To think he only lost 40 seconds is fantastic.

Drago

Legendary Member
I suspect you entirely misunderstand the mechanism by which rotational brain injuries occur. Your height and mass have little to to with it. The mass of your brain and and how quickly your head stops rotating in relation to it - or vice versa - are the points to consider.

Citius

My lids are generally quite pricey, I don't have a 50 quid head, I'm not wearing a 50 quid lid. Both of my last 2 lids earned their stripes. Any one who thinks there would be no difference in the outcome of a moderate impact, of head to solid object, with or without a lid, must've had a moderate impact with a solid object, without a lid.

Using that logic, if a manufacturer launched a £1,000 helmet, or even a £10,000 helmet - I'm guessing you'd be first in the queue?

U

User33236

In my only crash of recent times when, I was taken out by a car, CCTV from a nearby property clearly shows me being thrown from my bike and rotaing 180 degrees before landing square on my back. Immediately prior to me parting company with my bike GPS shows me to be travelling at 20mph (air friction may have slowed me a bit before landing).

My helmet showed evidence of compression over 40% or the rear of it along with several small hairline cracks indicating it was nearing it's point of failure.

Given the way I landed I have no doubt whatsoever my head would have hit the road. I also agree it is not possible to say what injury, if any, I would have received but I would suspect I would have had a bit of a bump at least.

In different circumstances, higher speeds or different angle, the outcome could have been very different but, in the example above. I was glad to have been wearing one as I had no injury whatsoever to my head or neck. Higher speeds or different angle

It is up to each individual, and their own assessment of the risk, as to whether they wear one or not.

doog

You might want to Google "rotational head injury cycle helmet." That's a pretty big downside. Wearing one 'just to be safe' is a slightly suspect stance when as little research has been done into the cons as there has the pros.

Tell me this....How many deaths / severe injuries from rotational head injuries by helmet wearers ?.....This should be calculable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom