Would appreciate advice on upgrading to a lighter, faster 'bent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Longstanton is Bike to Be / Cycle Centric

DTek and Kevin are at Little Thetford which is near Ely

Two diffrent companies, the first stocks Bachetta, whilst DTek does.... well almost everything
Ah! I hadn't realised. Kev is the man then I guess! Thanks for the folder pix too!

I've just been to a party in the village and almost everyone I knew there mentioned my "funny lie-down bike". Celebrity at last!

for what its worth I started with a bike e [stolen in fleet street!!!] then moved to a 20/16 spirit; bikefix now stock a 20/20 spirit which rolls a bit faster i think but is still heavy ish. I fancied something faster and lighter and bought a kingcycle in a private sale which apart from weird wheel sizes is great and with a rear box can carry enough for up to 2 or 3 days light summer touring [ coast to coast ok etc]. I love riding it weekends. I then picked up an optima dingo [ no longer made but similar available] which I use daily with rear racks/panniers for heavy commuting. Its about the same weight as the spirit but a fair bit faster i think. I then sold the spirit.

So it depends what you want to use your 'bent ' for. Kevin/ DTEK had a large stock of kingcycles i believe ; try and get one with sensible wheel sizes ; best combo would be 26 rear 20 inch front; other kingcycycle wheel sizes are 24 inch rear 17 or 18 inch front which makes it hard to source tyres. If you want something chunkier with a greater load capaciity then speak to Bikefix as well. london recumbents/oliver also are a store of knowledge.
thats my 5 pennorth
bob c

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
for what its worth I started with a bike e [stolen in fleet street!!!] then moved to a 20/16 spirit; bikefix now stock a 20/20 spirit which rolls a bit faster i think but is still heavy ish. I fancied something faster and lighter and bought a kingcycle in a private sale which apart from weird wheel sizes is great and with a rear box can carry enough for up to 2 or 3 days light summer touring [ coast to coast ok etc]. I love riding it weekends. I then picked up an optima dingo [ no longer made but similar available] which I use daily with rear racks/panniers for heavy commuting. Its about the same weight as the spirit but a fair bit faster i think. I then sold the spirit.

So it depends what you want to use your 'bent ' for. Kevin/ DTEK had a large stock of kingcycles i believe ; try and get one with sensible wheel sizes ; best combo would be 26 rear 20 inch front; other kingcycycle wheel sizes are 24 inch rear 17 or 18 inch front which makes it hard to source tyres. If you want something chunkier with a greater load capaciity then speak to Bikefix as well. london recumbents/oliver also are a store of knowledge.
thats my 5 pennorth
bob c
Thanks bob, I've been looking at optima on websites and the kingcycle sounds good - I need to carry stuff, and at present, not having the proper bag, I strap a cut-down beer box to my rack! I'm interested that you were able to sell your 20/16 Spirit - although I like it I feel its limitations and wondered if I would be able to sell it once I upgrade. How did you sell it, if I may ask?

Thanks bob, I've been looking at optima on websites and the kingcycle sounds good - I need to carry stuff, and at present, not having the proper bag, I strap a cut-down beer box to my rack! I'm interested that you were able to sell your 20/16 Spirit - although I like it I feel its limitations and wondered if I would be able to sell it once I upgrade. How did you sell it, if I may ask?

When I had my bike e i came across another one for sale and persuaded a friend to mine to buy it. He kept it and when i wanted to sell the spirit he took that as well! I was all ready to go up to DTEK to pick up a kingcycle and was idly talking to a friend in my local LCC branch about this he turned out to have a kingcyle in his garage which he had ridden a couple of times, didnt like it and put it away for 10 years. I bought that one. I came across a bloke on a diamond frame [df as 'bent riders call upright riders] on Blackfirars bridge one day, got talking, he had a kingcycle for sale in Tooting, no more than 3 miles from me. That was 2 or 3 years ago but he still might have it. Have a look at this site for more inof etc http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
Its worth going to a meeting or two to talk and people have bents for sale.
Good luck

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
When I had my bike e i came across another one for sale and persuaded a friend to mine to buy it. He kept it and when i wanted to sell the spirit he took that as well! I was all ready to go up to DTEK to pick up a kingcycle and was idly talking to a friend in my local LCC branch about this he turned out to have a kingcyle in his garage which he had ridden a couple of times, didnt like it and put it away for 10 years. I bought that one. I came across a bloke on a diamond frame [df as 'bent riders call upright riders] on Blackfirars bridge one day, got talking, he had a kingcycle for sale in Tooting, no more than 3 miles from me. That was 2 or 3 years ago but he still might have it. Have a look at this site for more inof etc http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
Its worth going to a meeting or two to talk and people have bents for sale.
Good luck
I did have a look at one recumbent forum a while back - may have been that one - and all the stuff for sale had already sold, but unlike CC they didn't mention it in the title! I will browse again, good plan. Thanks bob!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Thanks Scoosh! I will use those links - I had found the Laid Back demo page but it is rather far away. Alas a lot of second-hand bents seem to be set up for taller/bigger people than me (5' 5" female here) but I will keep looking!
:thanks:

I think there is a greater range of height in a 'bent frame than in a df one - my Nazca Fuego :wub: is a Large frame and Large seat, which suits people over 6' (I'm 6' 3"/ 191cm) and the medium frame/ seat is way too small for me.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the medium frame would do you - but send Dave G an email to ask him - he's very helpful, even if you don't buy from him :thumbsup:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
:thanks:

I think there is a greater range of height in a 'bent frame than in a df one - my Nazca Fuego :wub: is a Large frame and Large seat, which suits people over 6' (I'm 6' 3"/ 190cm) and the medium frame/ seat is way too small for me.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the medium frame would do you - but send Dave g an email to ask him - he's very helpful, even if you don't buy from him :thumbsup:.
My Spirit has a huge range but of course that adds a bit of weight. I must say I'd rather have one more my size and less heavy. Perhaps I should keep the Spirit for chums to ride!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I've owned a fair few 'bents now. My 1st (and in hindsight fastest and best) 2 wheeler was a Bacchetta Strada high racer. So much easier to ride than the mid and lowracers that followed. I (wrongly) assumed that lower meant faster, but when you factor in setting off from lights, uphill starts, and slow speed maneuverability, a highracer (imho) is by far the best tool for the job. I miss the Strada so much that I'm always on the lookout for another (or a Corsa.)

As for fairings. Very expensive, though you can make your own. My home made effort is mainly for weather protection, though it does roll very nicely when I'm cruising at 22-25 mph. Don't think I'd bother with anything more than a rear fairing on a 2 wheeler though, as I'd be scared of side winds. On a 2 wheeler, I'd just make a small rear box/fairing, and some home mad wheel covers. I never got round to fitting a rear wheel cover on the Catrike 700s rear, or the Strada, and there's no need on my current rear faired Trice, but this took me a couple of hours, and not much money. Most expensive bit was the carbon wrap, but if you just spray painted the correx, would cost around 15 quid.

wheeldisc_zps42a6f7dd.jpg

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
I've owned a fair few 'bents now. My 1st (and in hindsight fastest and best) 2 wheeler was a Bacchetta Strada high racer. So much easier to ride than the mid and lowracers that followed. I (wrongly) assumed that lower meant faster, but when you factor in setting off from lights, uphill starts, and slow speed maneuverability, a highracer (imho) is by far the best tool for the job. I miss the Strada so much that I'm always on the lookout for another (or a Corsa.)

As for fairings. Very expensive, though you can make your own. My home made effort is mainly for weather protection, though it does roll very nicely when I'm cruising at 22-25 mph. Don't think I'd bother with anything more than a rear fairing on a 2 wheeler though, as I'd be scared of side winds. On a 2 wheeler, I'd just make a small rear box/fairing, and some home mad wheel covers. I never got round to fitting a rear wheel cover on the Catrike 700s rear, or the Strada, and there's no need on my current rear faired Trice, but this took me a couple of hours, and not much money. Most expensive bit was the carbon wrap, but if you just spray painted the correx, would cost around 15 quid.

wheeldisc_zps42a6f7dd.jpg
That's interesting - I haven't heard anyone express a preference between high, mid and low and I have to say I do like being high up on my Spirit. Thanks for all the details too!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
That's interesting - I haven't heard anyone express a preference between high, mid and low and I have to say I do like being high up on my Spirit. Thanks for all the details too!

Maybe it's just me (and feel free lowracer riders to jump in if you've ridden a highracer as well for comparison) but if I compare the Strada to he Optima Baron lowracer, I found the Strada faster, more stable and easier to set off on. In fact in the months I owned the Baron I found myself avoiding hill starts (especially if there were also traffic lights) and also trying to avoid filtering. Whereas on the Strada, I felt confident in all situations, and could even filter at walking speed between the gridlocked cars on the dual carriageway.....on the Baron I'd use the cycle path. I gave the Baron a chance-several months, and around a thousand miles, but never got near the confidence I had with the Strada. The Rainbow Lyner mid height I owned was also a bit of a pig-though it was quite a heavy beast.

As for trikes. Yes they're slower, but boy are they a lot of fun!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks BlackPanther, I wonder if any low racers will wade in! - I don't want to have to start another thread! What you describe re the Strada is really what I'm looking for. But I really want to have a go on a trike or two as well. I was chatting to a friend of mine who rides an old Kingcycle (has done for 30 years in London traffic) and he also recommended D-Tek, though since he hasn't changed his bike in 30 years I'm not sure how he knows. I see Bachetta is stocked at Cyclecentric in Longstanton though, rather than D-Tek so I dunno! I can forsee a Spring trip to East Anglia in any case!

Its the engine which makes the bent faster {you} as for low v high racers you must try for yourself. As Black Panther as made some valid points on his vast experience on riding both e.g., are you going to ride through traffic! can be daunting on a low racer as opposed to a highracer. I ride a Toxy ZR its as low as you can go but totally a different set up compared to a Baron lowracer, Hydraulic brakes , Schlump mountain drive up front, carbon seat which is a nice fit for me, can put my hand down when starting off as its soo low to the ground folds in a case for transport without to much trouble , light and positive steering and quick off the mark. Set yourself a price look at some youtube videos and narrow it down to a few different models of bents and go and try a few out or there maybe some forum members not to far from you who I am sure would give you a test drive or some advice. Its a shame you are so far away or you could try mine. Happy hunting and most of all have fun which ever one you buy , got to say I like the look of Metabikes MUST STOP LOOKING AT THESE ON YOUTUBE LOL!!!!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Its the engine which makes the bent faster {you} as for low v high racers you must try for yourself. As Black Panther as made some valid points on his vast experience on riding both e.g., are you going to ride through traffic! can be daunting on a low racer as opposed to a highracer. I ride a Toxy ZR its as low as you can go but totally a different set up compared to a Baron lowracer, Hydraulic brakes , Schlump mountain drive up front, carbon seat which is a nice fit for me, can put my hand down when starting off as its soo low to the ground folds in a case for transport without to much trouble , light and positive steering and quick off the mark. Set yourself a price look at some youtube videos and narrow it down to a few different models of bents and go and try a few out or there maybe some forum members not to far from you who I am sure would give you a test drive or some advice. Its a shame you are so far away or you could try mine. Happy hunting and most of all have fun which ever one you buy , got to say I like the look of Metabikes MUST STOP LOOKING AT THESE ON YOUTUBE LOL!!!!
Thanks Neil! This is becoming a very interesting thread for me and it's nice of you to offer a test drive even if I have no chance of taking it up!

Top Bottom