Would appreciate advice on upgrading to a lighter, faster 'bent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Thanks Neil! This is becoming a very interesting thread for me and it's nice of you to offer a test drive even if I have no chance of taking it up!

I think most of us 'bent riders are the same. I've said before, anyone is welcome to have a blast on my machines. I'm down to just the Trice at the moment, but at one point did own a Strada, Baron and a (different) Trice all at the same time. I think Doncaster must be the most recumbentless area of the U.K. Down to the fact that there are no dealers anywhere near me! If my lottery numbers come up, I'd open up 'Doncaster Recumbents'!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I left Yorkshire to explore pastures new in the hope I would see another recumbent rider.

Once in Denmark I had the nice men at ICE send me a trice. I rode many miles but still couldn't entice the recumbent riders to appear. I then changed to a Bacchetta Giro in the hope that changing the " bait" might help but it didnt. In the last 13 yearsI have dived out of my garden to wrestle recumbent riders into the garden for refreshment, none of them were from Denmark.

I am now recumbentless but am very tempted by a Nazca Feugo.

Ironically I was in a small village in Norfolk for a week and took the Kettwiesel

Took it out to Kings Lynn and Sandringham and hadn't got a mile when coming the other way were... a Street Machine and a Trice!

So there in a small village called Runcton Holme there was an unplanned recumbent meet!

Black Panther you may as well come clean if you won the lottery you would probably buy Bacchetta and keep them for all for yourself lol

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Black Panther you may as well come clean if you won the lottery you would probably buy Bacchetta and keep them for all for yourself lol

Actually I probably would open a 'Bent shop.......but admittedly probably not in Doncaster. I'm thinking I'd approach ICE, bang a million quid or so into R&D, then maybe set up a manufacturing arm Stateside, somewhere warm....Florida methinks. Not to make a profit, just to be involved in something I have an interest in whilst enjoying my semi retirement in a warm climate.

Actually, that's a damn fine, off the top of my head plan. Just need to win £10 million or so and I'm off!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
How rural is rural Kent. I'm in Bromley and have a fair few bents you are welcome to look at. Should mention that many of them are presently broken, of course...

From heaviest to lightest:

- Tandem. Steel frame. Over 30kgs. Still spins up to speed quickly with the right motor on board. Bullet proof.
- RAW: Carbon / Kevlar: 25kgs fully enclosed velomobile. Bullet, but not car proof. Currently needing love before it will roll again. Was very fast though. Hard work climbing, but I've had her up Ditchling more than a few times and its all doable. London to Lands End in about 18 hours even with my legs. Aero matters.
- HP Velotechnic SMGTe. Alu: No idea of weight. Probably less than half the WAW. Still running on daily commute detail. Survives maintenance free lifestyle. Quite fast.
- Challenge Seiran: Alu: Lighter than the SMGTe, Dual 26 wheels. Presently dead due to steering linkage fail and neglect.
- Challenge Furai SLII: Alu / Carbon: Very light. Dual 24" wheels. Presently dead due to steering linkage fail and suspicions around the alu frame integrity.

My thoughts: If you're using it a lot, there are some things that just aren't worth going lightweight on. The SLII chewed through maintenance much faster than the seiran, which chewed faster than the SMGTe. The RAW was a lightweight WAW and was higher maintenance than I'd like. I think the Tandem and SMGTe will run forever. Forks on the SMGTe might need a little loving some time soon, and I should replace the brakes, but other than that, its all good.

That said, I'd buy a carbon Schlitter in a heartbeat. :smile:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Ironically I was in a small village in Norfolk for a week and took the Kettwiesel

Took it out to Kings Lynn and Sandringham and hadn't got a mile when coming the other way were... a Street Machine and a Trice!

So there in a small village called Runcton Holme there was an unplanned recumbent meet!

If you come again - let me know and will try and meet up. I was out at Wells last week and a chap turned up on an immaculate ICE - he had travelled from Hunstanton and seemed a but upset when I said I had come from KL. Still it was good to see another trike in these parts.

Reactions: mjr

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
...That said, I'd buy a carbon Schlitter in a heartbeat. :smile:

..and then did. :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giro-20.jpg

I want :hyper::hyper::hyper:

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Rowrrrrr!!!

Alas my plans for a new bike are on hold for the present as I have developed a frozen shoulder and cannot even ride the one I have got. :cry: Or any other bike. Pain 24/7 for the time being.

Where can I get that Barchetta then? Who knows, when I'm better....

Top Bottom