Would it be mad...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
I have two road bikes, a Carrera Virtuoso and a Trek 1.7. Naturally the Trek is a much nicer machine, but then it cost much more that the Virtuoso.

The Virtuoso has seen me through alot of miles over a 2 and a half year period, but it is worn, it needs a new cassette, chain and brake calipers for starters, and so I thought I'd upgrade it a bit.

So I looked at adding Tiagra parts, changing it to a 9 speed and adding in new shifter/brake levers. (maybe having to add a new front rear mesch - and possibly chainset...)

Sum total of these parts is more than the bike cost me originally (240 notes), and thus one has to question the madness of undertaking such an upgrade, no matter how much I am attached to what was my first road bike.

So, upgrading a cheap bike, madness or stupidity?

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Not at all . It would cost you at least twice as much to buy a bike with similar conpoments .

Rouge Penguin

Why not buy a low miles, unwanted bike off ebay etc and break it down.

A friend offered me his unwanted and mildly used Carrera Vanquish for £90, so ive taken the 105 stuff off for the winter hack/turbo bike and the older stuffs going back on the Carrera and being sold on. New, improved running gear for minimum outlay.

festival

Über Member
I have two road bikes, a Carrera Virtuoso and a Trek 1.7. Naturally the Trek is a much nicer machine, but then it cost much more that the Virtuoso.

The Virtuoso has seen me through alot of miles over a 2 and a half year period, but it is worn, it needs a new cassette, chain and brake calipers for starters, and so I thought I'd upgrade it a bit.

So I looked at adding Tiagra parts, changing it to a 9 speed and adding in new shifter/brake levers. (maybe having to add a new front rear mesch - and possibly chainset...)

Sum total of these parts is more than the bike cost me originally (240 notes), and thus one has to question the madness of undertaking such an upgrade, no matter how much I am attached to what was my first road bike.

So, upgrading a cheap bike, madness or stupidity?

Try any halfrauds to see if they have any cannibalised bikes out the back they want to get rid of and make them a silly offer. Make sure you speak to someone switched on as some staff either wont know or cant be bothered to look. Its not unusual to get half a bike lying around in the w/house, my mate got a brand new vanquish for £200 minus a few parts.
If you cant find a deal like this or such as rouge penguin suggests I would think about putting £ 240 towards a new bike and try to sell yours on for a few £s.
It depends on what else is going to go next.
I know the wheels weren't great on those bikes but if they are ok what about the tyres,handlebar tape,saddle,headset bearings,bottom bracket it all adds up. do you have the means to do the work yourself, cassette,chain,bottom bkt tools etc
Depends on how old your trek is but how about upgrading that & passing the kit down to the virtuoso

nightoff

I suppose if you really like the bike then upgrading it would be ok from a pleasure point of view. It would probably make financial more sense to put your upgrade money towards a higher quality second hand bike.

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
The Trek is only 20 months old and in perfect order, so no need to go cannibalising/upgrading there, it is a straight cost thing on what offers the best value - revamping a "tired" machine, or buying a complete replacement.

Having had to overhaul the front wheel today (new bearings etc), I could easily add new wheels to the list of bits needed as the cones and inner bearing races are now pretty 'fatigued' and not smooth running - but then what can be expected for a bike at such little money.

I think a bit of ebay this evening and see what I can get my mitts on, I've no bother in doing the work myself, got the tools and more than use to servicing all the bikes in the household.

Top Bottom