Would it be worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User269

Absolutely gorgeous.........I used to lust after such a bike in the early '70s.
If it were me I'd build it up with new Tiagra, (as light and smooth as my 10yr old Ultegra), and get some nice light, strong wheels, like Shimano C24. No idea what it would weigh, but I reckon it would be a sublime ride.
I still think a lot of carbon frames look ugly, more so these days, so although I no longer have steel, I find the appearance of the tubes more aesthetically pleasing on the Holdsworth.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Absolutely gorgeous.........I used to lust after such a bike in the early '70s.
If it were me I'd build it up with new Tiagra, (as light and smooth as my 10yr old Ultegra), and get some nice light, strong wheels, like Shimano C24. No idea what it would weigh, but I reckon it would be a sublime ride.
I still think a lot of carbon frames look ugly, more so these days, so although I no longer have steel, I find the appearance of the tubes more aesthetically pleasing on the Holdsworth.
I've regressed to the point where I only have steel .... and DT shifters!!!

midlife

Guru
Just joking :smile:

My favourite rider (Phil Bayton) rode orange :biggrin:

2w3ord5.jpg

Sorry about the black and white picture, a bit "Colemanballs"

Shaun

This would be the last bike i buy, i promise!:whistle:

I thought you had a huge huge thread going about a new bike and only just got it ;) ?
If you got one to ride then buy the bits and build it yourself, learn along the way and no rush to build. Loads of advice on here and anything your stuck with then take it to local bike shop for help :okay:
Nice looker by the way. I'm trying to decide between a CX or a road bike now I'm flying on my SS

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I thought you had a huge huge thread going about a new bike and only just got it ;) ?
If you got one to ride then buy the bits and build it yourself, learn along the way and no rush to build. Loads of advice on here and anything your stuck with then take it to local bike shop for help :okay:
Nice looker by the way. I'm trying to decide between a CX or a road bike now I'm flying on my SS

I did, but that was then and this is now. I get new ideas.;) If i had my own shed or space i would like to tackle a bike build but Mrs Accy as you've probably gathered isn't an understanding bike widow. She'd just nag and nag if i had bike bits around the house.:blink:

lutonloony

Über Member
I did, but that was then and this is now. I get new ideas.;) If i had my own shed or space i would like to tackle a bike build but Mrs Accy as you've probably gathered isn't an understanding bike widow. She'd just nag and nag if i had bike bits around the house.:blink:
At least if she's nagging about the bike, Mrs A might not nag about other things. Have to agree that you really should build it up yourself

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Steel Holdsworths MUST be Orange and Blue ... to match the Kit.
Yes at that price I'd buy one but then I'm a fan.
I would also do a custom build with Campag. No black componants only silver. A modern take on the old classic .... (I'd go with blue bar tape, but that's just me ....).
For extra tartiness I'd go with handbuilt silver rims on large flange hubs (Velo Orange).

View attachment 133623

View attachment 133625

Enjoy!

This bike

holdsworth1973competizone2-jpg.133623.jpg

reminds me of the Holdsworth bike me and my brother shared in the 1970's. It was a 10 speed steel bike,very heavy and maybe ok for my brother but a little too big for me. However,i used it to go to Silloth in Cumbria and back (about 250 miles) in 2 days aged 16. Sadly he took the bike with him to university. I never saw it again, he sold it to pay his rent or something like that.:sad:

Top Bottom