Would like to go faster!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm a bit late to the party, knapdog, but I first discovered the concept of "cadence" after I'd been commuting for a while: it gradually dawned on me that on days when I was "taking it easy" (using lower gears) I'd often get to work quicker than on my "going for it" days (higher gears) ..

A big of googling, some reading and I realised what was going on. The fact that you set a new record when using lower gears makes it sound like you are in the same boat as I was ..

Randochap

Senior hunter
knapdog said:
I'll take it all on board and start pedalling faster throughout the gears!!:tongue:

See, I put it in 2 words. :smile:

You might go back to the link I provided and take a closer look at what I'm saying there. Also make use of the link to Sheldon Brown's gear calculator while you're at it.

There, you can figure out RPM/speed as well as gear inches, etc. This kind of knowledge allows experienced riders to know exactly what speed you should expect for a given gear/cadence. That's why we knew how to extrapolate the speeds from your existing gears. However, it is our knowledge of how much pain endurance it takes to maintain a given speed that allowed us to confidently predict that you weren't using the gears you have to their full potential.

Personally, if I'm spinning out my 50-13 (103") gear, I'm flying downhill at around 65 kph. At that point, why pedal?

Garz

Squat Member
I think this thread is what is known as 'the roundabout phenomena' where it takes multiple pages to theorise on something that is straight forward! :smile:

GrasB

Veteran
Garz said:
I think this thread is what is known as 'the roundabout phenomena' where it takes multiple pages to theorise on something that is straight forward! :blush:
As my physics teacher said - "It's not enough to understand what you're being told. You need to accept it as fact"

jimboalee

GrasB said:
As my physics teacher said - "It's not enough to understand what you're being told. You need to accept it as fact"

My Physics teacher said,,,,

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool."

Mortiroloboy

gbb said:
Bloody right :evil:
50/12 for me on a wind-less day on the flat..i'd be lucky to push out 30mph for very long...let alone cruise at that speed.
I've been road cycling for 8 years, (although age is against me at 51) and i dont hang about, but i cant achieve those speeds...and i suspect 90% of average cyclists (which i consider myself) could'nt either.
Cruising speed for me is 19mph on a true flat...and i dont get overtaken by other cyclists very often.
I think you have to be realistic about age / fitness/ mileage on the bike / conditions / terrain.

Ditto

jimboalee

youngoldbloke said:
I think we are probably saying that you should work to increase your cadence and spin throughout the range of gears, not just at the top end. After all, there will be more push on the pedals if you are turning them faster than you are now.

When you say "push on the pedals", do you mean the Force exerted?

It is worth another mention that to acheive a desired power, force and therefore Newton-meters has a relationship with revs.

A cyclist can either pedal with a lot of force and not many revs and achieve the SAME power as a cyclist who exerts less force at higher revs.

To achieve a desired speed, because this is related to power, the rider can 'spin' with low pedal force ( the modern way ) OR can 'grind' with high pedal force ( the old school way ).

Sounds like the OP is not 'spinning', but grinding in highest gear and when he hits 22 ~ 23 mph, he runs out of oomph.

We have talked about 'natural cadence' a few times and agreed each individual has their own 'torque curve' of pedal force vs cadence.

No-one can tell you what style to ride, it's up to you to do some testing.

You will find your 'natural cadence' after you have had to take a rest stop, and warmed up after restarting again.

One thing more to add. Gearing does not enter the Velocity vs Power equation.
Bike manufacturers fit gearing that will encompass the average person's ability.
It seems strange that 35 years ago, a roadrace bike was sold with 53/39 and 13 - 23 5 block.
Now, people are crying because they've only got 50/34 and 11 - 27 10 cassette.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I managed 30mph for 2.3 miles a week or so ago. Admittedly there were 3 traffic light stops inbetween, but that's a double-edged sword. Stop and get a rest, but you have to do that huge acceleration all over again. I'm "cheating" though, with a proper bike.

Back to the OP, get a cycling computer with cadence, and report back to us! Faster pedalling is likely the right way to go, and the easiest way to learn this well is to measure your cadence, and be diligent about improving it.

GrasB

Veteran
jimboalee said:
It seems strange that 35 years ago, a roadrace bike was sold with 53/39 and 13 - 23 5 block.
Now, people are crying because they've only got 50/34 and 11 - 27 10 cassette.
Yeah, the 11-27 10 speed cassette with a 50t chain ring gives you a slightly wider ratio range which is almost completely covering the old twin chainring setup. :ohmy:

Top Bottom