Would like to go faster!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
+1 to Fossy. I've managed 185rpm on my fixed wheel downhill, which is 38mph and 48x19. That's not particularly impressive, quite a few people have topped 200rpm btw. On the geared 53x11 is fine for up to about 40mph, and I can go more, but by then pedalling is usually less efficient and I'm so aero on my bike I may as well coast anyway.

jimboalee

Don't worry folks, OP is NOT me blagging.

I too am a little amiss what the OP is wanting.

I cannot imagine anyone who posts on this chatboard being able to sustain 30+ mph on a Spesh Secteur Elite. If you can, you should be a Pro and nowhere near this chatboard.

I can get 27 mph on occasions but I keep this performance for stretches of road where there are no junctions – by-passes etc. I find the motorists DO NOT expect a cyclist to be travelling that fast and move out of sideroads right into my path.

20 to 25 ish is about as much as motorists can comprehend for a cyclist.

OP
OP
knapdog

knapdog

I cannot imagine anyone who posts on this chatboard being able to sustain 30+ mph on a Spesh Secteur Elite. If you can, you should be a Pro and nowhere near this chatboard.

Why is everyone assuming I'm travelling at 30+ mph?!? I haven't once mentioned my normal top speed. Indeed, I'm more likely to be travelling between 19mph and about 22mph!!!
I'm 58 years of age and trying to build up my fitness as I'm going to have to average 112 miles a day for 9 days next year. My legs are like pipe cleaners and I've got a bit of a beer belly!!!
If I don't have a point regarding my original post then why does anyone bother to have larger chainrings than a 50? I can't help it if on occasions I feel as if I could do with "another gear", in top. I was merely asking if 1). would it be worth it, considering I'd just bought a new bike? 2). could it be done without sacrificing the present smooth change up in the shifting, and 3). would the cost be prohibitive?
Cycling back from work last night I did concentrate on a faster cadence, by selecting a lower gear more often, as some have suggested, and I got home in record time!! (though I did have a bit of a tail wind!)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
knapdog said:
Why is everyone assuming I'm travelling at 30+ mph?!? I haven't once mentioned my normal top speed. Indeed, I'm more likely to be travelling between 19mph and about 22mph!!!
I'm 58 years of age and trying to build up my fitness as I'm going to have to average 112 miles a day for 9 days next year. My legs are like pipe cleaners and I've got a bit of a beer belly!!!
If I don't have a point regarding my original post then why does anyone bother to have larger chainrings than a 50? I can't help it if on occasions I feel as if I could do with "another gear", in top. I was merely asking if 1). would it be worth it, considering I'd just bought a new bike? 2). could it be done without sacrificing the present smooth change up in the shifting, and 3). would the cost be prohibitive?
Cycling back from work last night I did concentrate on a faster cadence, by selecting a lower gear more often, as some have suggested, and I got home in record time!! (though I did have a bit of a tail wind!)

A bigger chainring - as many of posters have stated - yes quite possible, but with potential mechanical/ financial complications. The point is - how fast are you pedalling - what cadence? You've said you upped it, and got home in record time. From what to what - 70 -90?, or 100 - 120? Suspect it might be more like the former. Given that it has already made a difference, I'd concentrate on refining your pedalling technique, and leave the larger chainring until later. (I find it useful to use an exercise bike at the gym to work on this, also spinning sessions. By the way I'm 61 and quite capable of keeping the pedals turning at well over 100 rpm).

edit: You could also change the cassette of course - 11-25 maybe? (Shimano 105 10 speed?), you would gain a few inches, and you would lose the bottom 30x27 of course, but would that be a problem?

Bman

Guru
Well my average speed overall is just short of 17mph :smile:

Ok, I can push past 30, and on the flats probably average around 22. But nowhere near some speeds I've seen. Then again, this is a 21" MTB /w semi-slicks.

jimboalee

112 miles per day for 9 days. Is that LEJOG?

When you've been training for a few months and done a couple of 100 mile 'double headers', you'll find you don't need any higher gears than what the bike had when it was new.

On the downhills, it's best to let gravity do the work and save your energy for the uphills.

You may even post a new thread on "Can I fit bigger sprockets?"

garrilla

knapdog said:
Why is everyone assuming I'm travelling at 30+ mph?!?

From your original post people are assuming that when in 53 x 13 and you finding little resistance you must be spinning at about 90rrp+. If you are peddaling this fast in this gear, then the speed should be 30+mph on the flat.

So conversely, we can work back and if you are travelling at 20mph in 53 x 13, your cadence should be about 60rpm, which you should still be feeling resistance.

So I suspect the issue here is what is meant by 'resistance' or 'push' as you called it..

Pimperial

knapdog said:

The point is that if you're using top gear, you SHOULD be sustaining 30+ mph. If you're using that gear and going 22mph then you'd be better off just pedalling faster than continuing to pedal slowly on a bigger chainring.

OP
OP
knapdog

knapdog

The point is that if you're using top gear, you SHOULD be sustaining 30+ mph. If you're using that gear and going 22mph then you'd be better off just pedalling faster than continuing to pedal slowly on a bigger chainring.

I'm enjoying everyone's replies, which are extremely interesting!
There is an assumption that I'm able to sustain for some time this easy pedalling rate on the flat, almost as if I'm finding the whole thing too easy!! Remember my first thread where I mentioned that I could do with a little more resistance on the pedals in top gear.
I'm no better pedaller than anyone else. It's just that on occasions, where, maybe without me realising it, there's even a slight downhill stretch or even a bit of a wind behind me I'm travelling in top gear, my legs are spinning around 13 to the dozen and I could do with another gear or two!!!!
My computer doesn't have Cadence on it but I've just leaned back in the chair, spun my legs around for a minute and it's about 80 rpm!

jimboalee

knapdog said:
I've bought a Spesh Secteur Elite and fairly new to road cycling after pottering around previously on a hybrid. My aim, before Christmas is to get a century ride under my belt, as I've signed up for the RAB challenge next year.
At the moment the farthest I've gone is 56 miles though I also occasionally cycle to work and have done a few12/15 mile rides over different routes. My progress is OK though I do find the longer runs a bit hard and I'm usually glad to get home.
And at last I get to the point: When I'm on the flat and in top gear I wish I could go a bit faster but the gearing on the bike won't allow it. I could do with a bit more "push" on the pedals.
So, do I invest in a larger front chainring (and if so, what?),or do I stick with the existing set up on a bike that after all is only 6 weeks old?? If I change, will this "upset" the smooth transition up from the middle to the top ring?
The current set up is Cassette:12-27 and Chainrings:30-39-50.

Does this mean:-

a/ You haven't got the power to push the pedals any faster, or
b/ You are 'spinning out'?

OP
OP
knapdog

knapdog

jimboalee said:
Does this mean:-

a/ You haven't got the power to push the pedals any faster, or
b/ You are 'spinning out'?

When I'm in top gear and I'm pedalling "beyond" resistance then I guess on these rare occasions I have quite a high cadence rate so this can't be a symptom of not having the power to push the pedals.

jimboalee

knapdog said:
When I'm in top gear and I'm pedalling "beyond" resistance then I guess on these rare occasions I have quite a high cadence rate so this can't be a symptom of not having the power to push the pedals.

The term 'Spinning out' means :-

The rider cannot move their legs fast enough to apply pressure on the pedals.

You cannot move your legs fast enough to apply pressure on the pedals at 80 rpm in a 50 x 12 gear ?

On that bike, on the flat through calm air, you are generating nearly 400 Watts in this gear at those revs. That's enough for anyone who isn't a raceboy to be happy with.

Are you sure its not a case of you've 'red lined'?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I think we are probably saying that you should work to increase your cadence and spin throughout the range of gears, not just at the top end. After all, there will be more push on the pedals if you are turning them faster than you are now.

OP
OP
knapdog

knapdog

youngoldbloke said:
I think we are probably saying that you should work to increase your cadence and spin throughout the range of gears, not just at the top end. After all, there will be more push on the pedals if you are turning them faster than you are now.

Thanks to all and "youngoldbloke" and "jimboalee", in particular. You have been very helpful!!
I think the above quote probably does sum up my problem. I'll take it all on board and start pedalling faster throughout the gears!!:evil:

Top Bottom