Would like to go faster!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knapdog

Would like to go faster! Bigger Sprockets??

I've bought a Spesh Secteur Elite and fairly new to road cycling after pottering around previously on a hybrid. My aim, before Christmas is to get a century ride under my belt, as I've signed up for the RAB challenge next year.
At the moment the farthest I've gone is 56 miles though I also occasionally cycle to work and have done a few12/15 mile rides over different routes. My progress is OK though I do find the longer runs a bit hard and I'm usually glad to get home.
And at last I get to the point: When I'm on the flat and in top gear I wish I could go a bit faster but the gearing on the bike won't allow it. I could do with a bit more "push" on the pedals.
So, do I invest in a larger front chainring (and if so, what?),or do I stick with the existing set up on a bike that after all is only 6 weeks old?? If I change, will this "upset" the smooth transition up from the middle to the top ring?
The current set up is Cassette:12-27 and Chainrings:30-39-50.

Pimperial

In that top gear, you should be cruising along at 30-35 mph, and if that feels too easy for you to maintain over a distance then you're a better man than me. Either that, or your cadence is just too low and you need to work on leg speed rather than wanting more "push" as you say.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Race bikes used to come with 53/39 chainsts as 'Standard' so you could possibly go to 53Teeth IF the capacity of your front and rear mech is sufficient. I find 53 to 39 too big a gap require double shifting for smooth progress. my 52/42/30 being (for me) ideal.

Agree with Pimperial though. You should be a pro!

Tynan

Veteran
50x12 tops out at about 33mph for me which is bloody fast on the flat and some

something not right here

Garz

Squat Member
Yep, on the flats im never in smallest gear on the big ring as this would be 30+ mph. I usually top out at 28mph on flats so them solar speed sign things say! (still have couple more gears to use if I wanted to and I have a 50/36 compact)

GrasB

Veteran
I wonder if the OPer is one of these who sits there at 50 to 70ppm? I know a guy that rides mainly on 55/12 at a lazy 60-70ppm & stay there all day every day. Sure he can hit 100ppm for short periods but sustaining much above 70ppm is on-nigh impossible for him hence the massive gearing.

ajb

As said above, I think you need to work on cadence,
What cadence do you "top out" at ??
I run a 12/25 with 50/39/30, I can go along in a chaingang at about 33/35mph
When doing intervals on my own I can hold 31/32mph in 50/13.

gbb

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
50x12 tops out at about 33mph for me which is bloody fast on the flat and some

something not right here

Bloody right :smile:
50/12 for me on a wind-less day on the flat..i'd be lucky to push out 30mph for very long...let alone cruise at that speed.
I've been road cycling for 8 years, (although age is against me at 51) and i dont hang about, but i cant achieve those speeds...and i suspect 90% of average cyclists (which i consider myself) could'nt either.
Cruising speed for me is 19mph on a true flat...and i dont get overtaken by other cyclists very often.
I think you have to be realistic about age / fitness/ mileage on the bike / conditions / terrain.

OP
OP
knapdog

knapdog

Thanks Everyone! I appreciate all your comments to my post!
All I'm saying is that in certain conditions, on the flat, I am pedalling at a certain rate, in top gear, that is faster than the resistance on the pedal and so, therefore, I was just enquiring as to whether changing the chainring to one with a higher gearing would be worth it. I knew nothing about larger chainrings and the number of extra teeth there were available, plus possible problems with the smoothness of change involved if I change.
I'm a little more knowledgeable thanks to your help!

Stereo

gbb said:
Bloody right ;)
Cruising speed for me is 19mph on a true flat...and i dont get overtaken by other cyclists very often.

That's good to hear - all of this talk of cruising at 30mph was getting this newbie down. :angry:

GrasB

Veteran
I know very few people who can cruise at 30mph, but a large number of people who can push hard & get there for sustained periods before dropping down to around 20 to 25mph again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you can out spin a 50 x 11, which is like a 53 x 13 on the flat.....hat's off.... I find that gear good for 40, down hill, then it's aero tuck.

You are not pedalling efficiently to be honest. Ideal RPM is from 80 to 100

Top Bottom