Would my hybrid bike be suitable on these tracks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drkash

I've recently purchased a Whyte Shoreditch hybrid bike: https://whyte.bike/products/shoreditch

I'm really enjoying cycling on the road and commuting. I plan to go to this bike park with my kids but don't want to damage my new hybrid so not sure if I should get a second hand mountain bike? I don't plan to go crazy on the path but just take it reasonably easy with the kids. Would you think I would be fine with the hybrid or get a mountain bike for this? Cheers

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200802-085648_Tripadvisor.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200802-085648_Tripadvisor.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 12
  • SmartSelect_20200802-085513_Tripadvisor.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200802-085513_Tripadvisor.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 12
  • SmartSelect_20200802-085443_Tripadvisor.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200802-085443_Tripadvisor.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 12

vickster

Legendary Member
Should be fine, maybe fit some fatter knobblier tyres (depending on what the Shoreditch has at the moment). The Whyte R7s are more MTB oriented in terms of geometry than some road oriented hybrids so that will help.
how often are you planning on going to the park? In weather too?
Do you want to buy another bike just for that purpose?

OP
OP
D

drkash

The current tyres are Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 700 x 32c, Puncture Protection

We would only go there in nice dry weather.

Probably will go there once a month, maybe twice a month at times.

Cheers

OP
OP
D

drkash

Ok thanks will look into it. I'm quite new to cycling so this is probably a basic Q for most - do I use the same inner tube or do I need to get a new one?

Mike_P

Guru
Ok thanks will look into it. I'm quite new to cycling so this is probably a basic Q for most - do I use the same inner tube or do I need to get a new one?
Depends on the spec for the inner tube whether the new wider tyres are within it's capabilities. Have a look at the markings on it if there are any and are still readable. If uncertain get tubes of the correct size, plus a couple of spares. It's easier to change an inner tube when out on the bike than fix a puncture.

OP
OP
D

drkash

Thanks for the replies. I assume you suggest changing the tyres just when I go to the bike park and then changing back to my current tyre when riding on roads?

I was considering getting a cheap £100 mountain bike for this purpose but changing the tyres will certainly be cheaper in the long term given I will only have one bike to repair / service.

OP
OP
D

drkash

If I wanted to buy some new wheels for the gravel tyres to make it easier to switch them over, are there any things I need to look for to ensure compatibility with my Whyte Shoreditch? Any recommendations for well priced wheels?

Would this be ok? How do I know 38c tyres would fit this?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs170-disc-wheelset

vickster

Legendary Member
You’ll need a new cassette and disc rotors, much cheaper. And be aware of a used chain on a much less used Casette!
Easier to swap tyres once a month!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drkash

That's interesting to hear. So some mixed opinions. I think I'd probably ride 10-12 km/h at the bike park. Other than increasing the chance of punctures if I leave as it is, and I assume wearing the tyres down, are there any other risks to the bike? Any other opinions?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
To be honest, the only type of puncture you're more likely to suffer as a result of thinner tyres are pinch punctures. I don't really know your bike knowledge, but if you're unfamiliar with them, pinch punctures happen as a result of the tyre bottoming out between the ground and the rim due to insufficient air pressure or riding like an eejit. The actual size of the tyre makes no difference as to any other type of puncture.
Tyre wear again, isn't really affected by the size of the actual tyre, but more the rubber compound and tread type.
For what it's worth, I do prefer bigger tyres because as above, I do occasionally ride like an eejit and probably beyond what my bike was designed for. A bigger tyre can be run at lower pressures thus giving a smoother ride but they can and do clog up the mudguards quicker. But if riding in the dry, that's not really an issue.
What I would say is keep your bike as it is for now. Ride it a bit longer and see how you get on with it at the park. If you feel that you'd like a softer ride, let a bit of air out. If that causes the tyre to squirm too much or the rim takes a knock, then consider fitting fatter rubber.

I used to ride with a bike club. All members used to go out on skinny 23c - 25c tyred road bikes. One day I suggested that instead of coming home via a very boring main road, we ride along the canal path. Some worried faces followed as they were concerned that their bikes would be slipping and sliding all over the gravel surface and taking a battering. We did it, no one died. A short time later I had to leave the club due to family commitments but I heard that the canal run was made a regular thing.
Bikes are tough old dogs.

Shropshire65LW

You’ll need a new cassette and disc rotors, much cheaper. And be aware of a used chain on a much less used Casette!
Easier to swap tyres once a month!
agree this was a dilemma of mine . BUT why not Just run 40s all the time some good selection of tyres out there suitable for all year round and run well on road and trails / track .

Top Bottom