Would my hybrid bike be suitable on these tracks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shropshire65LW

Possibly. I just don’t know what tyres fit the bill. You could suggest :okay:
go on youtube and search Gravel tyres im hoping to be running these BUT they are expensive so not everyones Choice
https://www.vittoria.com/eu/mezcal-xc.html
what about ...Schwalbe Land Cruiser 700 x 40c . search on youtube some great compassion videos on there

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The current tyres are Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 700 x 32c, Puncture Protection

We would only go there in nice dry weather.

Probably will go there once a month, maybe twice a month at times.

Cheers

Nope dont. My wife tried Rhyl pump track, on her hybrid with tread, and before I could say anything she shot off after my son. OK on the bumps and lumps but stacked it on a tight berm (sculpted corner). You need knoblies and stay out of the gravel on a hybrid.

OP
OP
D

drkash

Thanks for the helpful replies and insight. I mainly want to use my hybrid for road cycling on 20-40km rides, commuting to work and also going for rides with the kids. The bike park will be less often (once a month or so). The current tyres feel good for most of my cycling. I'm leaning towards just changing the tyres when going to the bike park and getting 38mm, Schwalbe G-One Allround RaceGuard Folding Road Tyres as suggested before. They have good reviews and should fit.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Nope dont. My wife tried Rhyl pump track, on her hybrid with tread, and before I could say anything she shot off after my son. OK on the bumps and lumps but stacked it on a tight berm (sculpted corner). You need knoblies and stay out of the gravel on a hybrid.

Not sure what it is you're saying.
The type of bike caused her crash or the type of tyre?

Shropshire65LW

Thanks for the helpful replies and insight. I mainly want to use my hybrid for road cycling on 20-40km rides, commuting to work and also going for rides with the kids. The bike park will be less often (once a month or so). The current tyres feel good for most of my cycling. I'm leaning towards just changing the tyres when going to the bike park and getting 38mm, Schwalbe G-One Allround RaceGuard Folding Road Tyres as suggested before. They have good reviews and should fit.
I’m running schwalbe G - one. 38s now . I like the tyre but from what you are saying I really think this is the wrong tyre for you .
im going to be changing mine soon . Done less than 200 miles I’d say
they will be up for grabs 2 for the price of 1 new one . A option for you but I do think
Schwalbe land cruiser may be better suited

but go with you gut , I don’t always take other people’s advice sometimes you just have to
run with you own gut
G.One is more I think suited to a drop bar gravel bike they prob were more suited to
my giant anyroad

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Picture 3 - with all the twisty berms - take this very carefully on G-Ones. Not sure how many on here have actually ridden a pump track or indeed a trail centre - it's not the bumps that will get you, it's the tight berms especially if you hit them fast. Hybrid or slick tyres won't bite into the loose surface (oh and it is loose). If you are following the kids then fine, keep your speed down. You'll be fine on a straight line but the tyres come into their own on berms, and this is where you usually hit them quite fast on a mountain bike. Don't ride near the bottom of the berm as that's where debris is and it's loose.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've always taken the view that if and when I crash, it 1 of 3 things.

1: Component fault. A part has failed unexpectedly in some way.

2: Other people. Someone doing something stupid or selfish.

3: User error. Riding beyond ones limits.

I've never considered that a bike or part of a bike that was in every way deemed by myself to be safe was at fault for my demise. That's a poor worker blaming his tools.
I've ridden slicks on every natural reasonable surface I can think of and as long as the limits on what those tyres are capable of are respected, there's no reason why they can't be used on loose gravel or any other surface.
No one needs knobbly tyres to ride offroad. They need to learn how to ride it.

ChrisEyles

Guru
You'll be fine with 32c slicks on that, as long as you ride sensibly / somewhat cautiously.

I wouldn't bother changing tyres personally, 32c is a good all-rounder, and if you get on with them for the rest of the riding you do it's not worth the faff changing them.

To ride a pump track "properly" you really need to be able to slam your saddle way down low, which pretty much requires a MTB type frame with low stand over height. A road oriented hybrid frame won't give you enough room to pump down with your hips into the berms and rollers.

But to just tootle around the track, you can ride it on anything. I've done the local pump track on a 1950s sit up and beg bike, just for giggles (the local kids loved it lol).

If you get into MTB riding or want to get airborne on the pump track, you'd be much better off buying a cheap second hand MTB than swapping tyres on your existing bike.

ChrisEyles

Guru
The only place I'd say knobby tyres are essential is riding in deep slippy mud, where slicks are hopeless (albeit hilarious if you can control the sliding front wheel :biggrin:). It's all a question of trade-offs, as they say jack of all trades is master of none!

Top Bottom