Would really appreciate some feedback on how I'm doing :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think you're doing fantastic.
Get that bike on a diet! :laugh:

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi from me..
I like you suffer from cycling weight loss and it is hard to eat enough to keep your weight up but it can be done, I find a protein shake helps as it aids the recovery of your muscles.
Plus a very well done on you progress so far, keep it up. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've known people with eating disorders, but I have never understood how people without that kind of problem struggle to eat... Eating is such a pleasure that it is difficult to do enough cycling to keep up with the eating? :wacko:

I went to Spain once and did 1,200 km (750 miles) of strenuous hilly cycling in my 2 weeks there. Unlimited hotel buffet meals sabotaged my attempts to lose weight. I came home several kg heavier! :blush:

Boon 51

Veteran
The average man should eat about 2500 calories a day so if I did a standard 160 klm ride ( 100 miles ) strava would say I have burnt 3500 calories so I would need to eat 6000 that day and I just can't do it? lol. :smile:
The OP is less weight than me :eek:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Hey again everyone :smile:

Just wanted to thank you all so much for your encouragement and feedback means a huge amount to me as I was never the strongest in physical exercise especially at school in traditional sports haha, shows I've come a long way and that feels really satisfying! :smile: Great to hear all your stories too, interesting to hear of other people on MTB's as well and yes my bike does have knobblies as well I kind of the like the fact it's hard to start off with though, as I'm doing it a lot for fitness and obviously I'll get a harder workout on a MTB than on a road bike (plus save a bit of money I'm only 19 ).

As for the food thing I do suffer from mild-moderate depression so I do find it hard to keep my appetite. Cycling itself has helped so much though I can't even put a word on it, it's the best emotional release in the world for me. Just getting even 2,000 calories a day down for me is an achievement haha once I'm full I'm full I can live on such a small amount of food :biggrin:

Thanks again for all your responses, all taken on board :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Interestingly my regular cycling buddy, an extremely fit bloke aged 62, has just come back from climbing Kilimanjaro. They took 8 days to do it. On the final day they started at midnight, summitted at dawn then walked down 9000 feet, meaning they were on the go for 18 hours. The following week they spent in Kenya eating 3 x 3-course meals a day and drinking lots of Tusker beer and still came home considerably lighter. On Friday and Saturday, two weeks after summitting, my buddy went out on his bike and on both days ran out of energy after 30 miles. It's amazing how much a big endurance effort like that takes out of you.

To the OP, I bought a mountain bike on the spur of the moment in 1987 and rode it seven hilly miles home from the shop, tyres under-inflated, saddle wrong height, wearing jeans and a coat. After about 4 miles I was absolutely knackered and by the time I reached home i was fit to drop with exhaustion. It was so tiring that I didn't touch the bike for a month but then I though: "Hang on - people ride bikes for a hundred miles or more, I should be capable of better than seven!" So I started riding more, linked up with some other people, got a better bike, got fitter and stronger then after 21 years of mountain biking I moved over to the road and got properly fit. Like you, i wasn't any good at team sports but I could rock climb to a good standard and here at last was a sport I could do from my door with no stress. It helped with my frame of mind and kept me healthy. Cycling is now my sole source of fitness and most of my social life revolves around cycling. So keep at it, you are still growing and building bulk and strength.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Hey again everyone :smile:

Just wanted to thank you all so much for your encouragement and feedback means a huge amount to me as I was never the strongest in physical exercise especially at school in traditional sports haha, shows I've come a long way and that feels really satisfying! :smile: Great to hear all your stories too, interesting to hear of other people on MTB's as well and yes my bike does have knobblies as well I kind of the like the fact it's hard to start off with though, as I'm doing it a lot for fitness and obviously I'll get a harder workout on a MTB than on a road bike (plus save a bit of money I'm only 19 ).

As for the food thing I do suffer from mild-moderate depression so I do find it hard to keep my appetite. Cycling itself has helped so much though I can't even put a word on it, it's the best emotional release in the world for me. Just getting even 2,000 calories a day down for me is an achievement haha once I'm full I'm full I can live on such a small amount of food :biggrin:

Thanks again for all your responses, all taken on board :smile:

Keep it up, there are so many physical and mental benefits just from getting on your bike. Ensure you have a good comfortable position, no physical niggles and you will build fitness and distance as the weeks go by.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@dude7691 well done so far just keep up the good work , as long as you enjoy cycling that is the main thing and if it helps you achieve what your aim is then even better .

We are all here to help just ask whatever you want within reason

Oh and keep an eye on yer bike as they also need fuel ie oil & air

Top Bottom