Would this be a fools errand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, I agree completely with the idea of building up an old frame with new components. Here's a pic of a venerable 1990 Harry Hall with Columbus SLX tubing that I salvaged and rebuilt as a training bike when I was a mountain biker:

1990HarryHall002.jpg

Bodging bikes is the very essence of being a cyclist; this was a rolling project that I undertook three years ago, it cost me around £500 in parts (new wheels not shown in this pic) and a hell of a lot of time hanging around bike shops, on the web, the phone and so on. The end result was a fine bike but it was a child of the 90s, lovely tubing but the frame was so short that it suffered bad toe overlap and you couldn't remove the rear wheel without deflating the tyre. It was twitchy, harsh to ride and quite punishing over long distances. So after all that effort I ended up with a decent bike, but one I didn't particularly enjoy riding and I sold straight on.

My point is that if the OP doesn't know much about bikes or more importantly, where to get help and advice, he is setting himself a hell of a target. If time is short he would do better to buy off the shelf but if he views it as a learning project and he's got lots of spare time then go ahead....

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
My point is that if the OP doesn't know much about bikes or more importantly, where to get help and advice, he is setting himself a hell of a target. If time is short he would do better to buy off the shelf but if he views it as a learning project and he's got lots of spare time then go ahead....

I don't know alot about bikes at the moment know, but I am a quick study!

Also, this isn't to be my main bike, I got a nice hybrid I am commuting on, and using for fun so, no need to rush a project together :smile:

This is just a learning experiment and something to fiddle with in spare time

Hydra

Occasional Pepper Carver
I've just received word that my frame has arrived from eBay. I plan to slowly build it up as a learning project and bit of fun. Like you I have a pretty basic knowledge of how to put a bike together, but methinks starting from scratch is the best place to learn. I don't have masses of spare time, nor do I have a big reserve of money. This is most likely going to be a slow, drawn-out process. But the fruits at the end of it all should be sweet.

Definitely worth attempting IMO. Off to go and have a look at the frame now. Shame I don't have any bits to attach yet.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I don't know alot about bikes at the moment know, but I am a quick study!

Also, this isn't to be my main bike, I got a nice hybrid I am commuting on, and using for fun so, no need to rush a project together :smile:

This is just a learning experiment and something to fiddle with in spare time

It is a very good way of learning, I think some of us were just trying to point out that the 'glamour' :biggrin: can fade. When you can't find yet another part or you need to buy yet another tool that you may never use again.

By the way, a good source can be the local tip, mine has now formalised things and bikes are £10 complete(ish) and £5 for incomplete. At these prices it's worth buying even if you only want a specific part or so.

If you'd like to learn in general and do a couple of projects along the way then there're a lot of online resources, Sheldon Brown and Bicycle Tutor being excellent. You could also pay a mobile bike mechanic, or find someone on the forums who lives near you, to do a strip and rebuild with you. This would give hands on teaching and also a list of tools you want to accumulate. For seldom used tools and old knowledge finding an old school bike shop can be invaluable.

First off I'd have a good read online and get familiar with the various sizing systems and what's compatible with what.

Top Bottom