Would this be a fools errand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Xiorell

Über Member
OK so I have not been into this cycling thing for long BUT, I have been thinking what might be kind of fun is to build one. For different reasons -

- It keeps me out of trouble (and the pub) on my days off when I am not fishing or whatever
- I'd end up with something tangible at the end of it
- Most importantly, it'd teach me alot about bike maintainence without cocking up my "propper bike"

So, the end result wouldn't be an attempt to build some awesome bit of kit as such, just to have a nice functional bike at the end to keep/use/sell on, whatever.

What I thought would be nice is to get an old race type frame from somewhere, be it ebay or car book or whatever, strip it down, respray it, get some forks (or use originals if that was the case), all the bits of pieces over time from whatever source, put it all together, learn to tune it all up... you get the idea - scavenge part, make them good again, get new parts (gears chainrings levers etc), assemble working machine.

Or, same thing but with newer MTB parts with the intent of using it when I know I want to take an offroad path (my "propper one" being a hybrid).

Do you think this would be a fun, realistic project, or just a massive ball-ache and money drain?

Globalti

Legendary Member
A massive ball-ache, I'm afraid. The reason? Bike manufacturers have been constantly changing the standards over the years so there is a bewildering variety of sizes and measurements out there. You might find a nice old steel frame then, assuming there's nothing wrong like crossed BB threads, you will find that you can't get parts to fit and end up trawling bike jumbles or Eblag. By all means have a go but be prepared to be thoroughly confused and mis-advised by people with only a hazy recollection of old bikes. You will end up buying bits then finding they are incompatible and trying to resell them. If you really know bikes and understand about metric and imperial sizing as well as a smattering of bike history, fine.

If you want to get on the road you're better off spending £200 to £300 on a new or nearly new bike, some gloves and padded shorts and enjoying the sunshine.

asterix

Comrade Member
My 1987 British Eagle Touristique (531ST) is a great bike. I got it off ebay for £50 a while back for an into-town bike and used it for a couple of years as was. It was so good to ride I used to go on trips in the N, York moors on it as well.

Since then it's had a makeover:

new wheels
headset
bottom bracket
derailleur
saddle
brakes
and a re-enamelling

Soon I will convert the chainset to a triple and it will then be good as new.

I have 3 other bikes, much newer.

It'a not nearly as hard as Globalti says. There are excellent sources of information out there, Sheldon Brown (RIP) is the guru, his website is a mine of information.

My favourite retailer for older bike parts is Spa Cycles who are very helpful on such matters.

Although Globalti makes some good points, the same points make it an interesting project and perhaps more fun to do.
The parts are available, it may be a little harder to source them from a retailer rather than ebay though.

+1 for Spa..

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Pretty much all my bikes have been put together that way! - most because they were built up on older frames, one because I've had it so long, everything's now been replaced except for the frame (like Trigger's broom).

Just two points. Avoid frames which are old enough that they were built for 27" wheels. You may have trouble finding wheels, tyres etc to fit, and if you use 700 wheels on it, you may have trouble getting brakes to fit.

And the other point - respray it yourself if you like. But if you like the bike and end up keeping it, you'll almost certainly end up getting it professionally sprayed or powder coated. Aerosol spray paint is OK, but it's not as hard as baked-on enamel and marks easily. Spraying a frame will take you a few cans, and in my experience, you'd be better off taking it to be powder coated in the first place.

frank9755

Cyclist
It depends on how you enjoy spending your spare time.

I did up a 1980's bike. I learned a lot, got great help from people on forums and ended up with with a decent result. But it took me many times longer than I expected and did cost me some money as I had to buy some parts and tools.

I enjoy riding it but I wouldn't do it again!

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
ok thanks guys, some food for thought there.

Might be better for now obtaining a newer frame to increase the odds of finding bits easier, then perhaps getting an older frame when I've got a better grasp of what's what.
There's a few MTB frames advertised locally, maybe obtain one of those and bugger about with it, get it ready for autum and use it when I go over the fields between here and the village my misses lives in, instead of the hybrid.

There's a Scaracen Raw frame about.... 2 miles from where I live, not the best MTB frame I know, but doesn't have to be for this (potential) project.

I do like the old looking road/race frames mind, there's a certain charm to them.

brokenbetty

Über Member
I say go for it. You will find experts (not referring to this forum particular, just experts in general) throw their hands up and insist that XYZ obsolete component is barely usable, but half of them have never tried and the other half have impossible standards.

The only meaningful yardstick for you is what you can live with, and the only way you'll find that out is trying things.

I never buy new bikes, just bodge together what I want from ebay. I started on a 1964 ladies bike I found behind my parents' shed with no knowledge of what I was doing, and took it from there.

Bicycle

I am for the DIY bike project.

It will be hard at times and occasionally frustrating, but there is a pleasure to owning the thing for years to come.

Having a friendly and helpful LBS will be a huge benefit.

Everything you need to source will come in sixteen different diameters. Your LBS will know which you need.

Don't be in a huge hurry to finish it... and accept that you may need to compromise...

You'll see Campagnolo Record carbon levers on eBay and feel yourself being drawn away from the Shimano 105s you were going to bid for...

Stay grounded, stay realistic and accept (or pay for) help when you need it.

It will be huge fun in the end and you will enjoy riding it more because you made it.

I'm envious....

Dewi

Veteran
Go for it. I've a much loved old Peugeot carbolite racer which I am planning to 'do up' over the summer. It's not been used in 25 years but I am going to have fun riding it again :smile:

fungus

Veteran
GO FOR IT
thumbsup.png

I'm in the process of building up a Dave Yates frameset from the early 80's. Mistakes have been made but I'm learning & it wil be fantastic once it's finished.

5643559057_bcd6b85159_z_d.jpg

5395122739_1d0bda05fd_z_d.jpg

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It depends on how you enjoy spending your spare time.

I did up a 1980's bike. I learned a lot, got great help from people on forums and ended up with with a decent result. But it took me many times longer than I expected and did cost me some money as I had to buy some parts and tools.

I enjoy riding it but I wouldn't do it again!

:biggrin: Yep that's how I feel, been there, done it and bought the tools, though I drew the line at some tools and relied upon the good nature of the mechanic at my LBS.

I would still scrap around and put something together, if need be, but I've never really been into 'retro' and am quite happy to mix and match and don't fear the scorn of the style gurus.

If I want to spend proper money then it would be on mod cons not recreating bygones.

fungus

Veteran
Go for it. I've a much loved old Peugeot carbolite racer which I am planning to 'do up' over the summer. It's not been used in 25 years but I am going to have fun riding it again :smile:

I remember me & my school friends lusting after a carbolite in a peugeot brochure many years ago, it was the first carbon bike frame I'd seen, showing my age now
whistling.gif

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
Thanks again for the advise and the encouragement people!

As I said the mission objective would not be to attempt to build some mad-man-all-singing-all-dancing-time-travelling-technicolour-dream-machine.

If I got hold of a road frame it'd be to just make a nice vintage looking thing that rides alright, seeing as I like the look of them old things they look nice.

I was thinking about this at work and I was considering that I could just go single speed, real simple stuff, would have a certain charm I think. Or Triple speed"Fast-medium-slow" gearng

If I was to do MTB it'd be to chuck it over the fields when I want to take that route to my GFs place.

Had a few different thoughts on this today, either cheap everything and just mess about with it, OR, decent quality frame as a basis then any old b****cks other bit to get it ridable and learn how to tune everthing -giving me a good frame to upgrade once I am comfortable with fiddling with all that stuff - OR, the other way round, any old random frame but get better bits suitable for a decent frame later.

Probabley just the first one, whatever I can get my hands on that does the job I want.

Top Bottom