Would this be considred normal wear and tear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rippley5150

Hello
New to the forum and have a question and would like some opinions.
I have a Specialized Sirrus 6.0 that I've had for almost a month.
I try to put 20 miles into daily. Tonight when I was out for my ride I noticed that the metal piece between the pedal arm and the frame was starting to separate.
I know it needs to be wiped down after today's ride.
Would the separation be considered normal wear and tear after not even a month?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Definitely not normal or wear & tear. That shouldn't be happening, if it is a new bike take it back to the supplier.

OP
OP
R

rippley5150

Thanks for the responses.
I read about the recalls. I have a Sirrus 6.0 and those aren't part of the recall.
I did email Specialized but it might take them a while to get back due to covid.
The part that is separating is that the outer seal?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the responses.
I read about the recalls. I have a Sirrus 6.0 and those aren't part of the recall.
I did email Specialized but it might take them a while to get back due to covid.
The part that is separating is that the outer seal?
I’d still take it back to LBS

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hold on, thats a Praxis Works bottom bracket and I recon that's a wavy washer that keeps the end seal in place.

I've got a GXP Praxis Works BB, and I have the wavy washer on the drive side of my BB to keep the seal in place.

The area is full of grease/dirt, so clean it up - a cloth or tissue to wipe it up and you'll notice a uniform wavyness to the washer.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hold on, thats a Praxis Works bottom bracket and I recon that's a wavy washer that keeps the end seal in place.

I've got a GXP Praxis Works BB, and I have the wavy washer on the drive side of my BB to keep the seal in place.

The area is full of grease/dirt, so clean it up - a cloth or tissue to wipe it up and you'll notice a uniform wavyness to the washer.
Shouldn't the wavy washer be fully compressed when you adjust out the endfloat and tighten the crank arm?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shouldn't the wavy washer be fully compressed when you adjust out the endfloat and tighten the crank arm?

On my drive side on the GXP, the wavy washer is still wavy, as GXP preloads from non-drive side (different sized bearings).

It's a Praxis crankset also, and their tech docs don't have a wavy washer on the non drive side, just an end cap/seal, but they aren't thin like that. Might need a clean up to check.

It's worth checking. The end caps are 2-3mm thick and machined.

OP
OP
R

rippley5150

The bottom bracket is a Praxis 68-0201B, 68mm BSA and the crank is a Praxis Alba M30 X. The rep from Specialized and the mechanic at the shop said it was the wavy washer. I think it's the dust cover. They both told me that it being out of shape wouldn't be an issue. I'm going to get in touch with Praxis and see what they say. I know it needs a clean up lol I took the pick just after a long ride.

yep wavy washer looks fine to me but needs a clean :whistle:

Hold both crank arms and try to rock them if you can feel play then it needs to go back to the shop otherwise clean it and post a close up picture, I’m pretty sure that’s a washer and doesn’t need to be compressed flat.

I’m a big fan of praxis kit and frequently replace stock with it

Top Bottom