Would this vest reduce close passes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yes

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I was a police motorcyclist and was taken off my motorbike by a car driver. It broke both my arms and right leg.

I was obviously decked out like a christmas tree and riding a white and orange motorbike, the size of a car.

In my experience, you can wear whatever you want. But unless the car driver sees you. Its all to no avail.

I do wear a vis vest. But being in the correct position on the road where you can be seen is more important in my opinion.

I always consider myself as part of the traffic and dont hide away in the gutter.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think more will either not notice you because they're not expecting a roadworker there or buzz you in revenge than will give you more room than they would have anyway.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This one might work?

images.jpeg

OP
OP
lazybloke

lazybloke

Considering a new username
To be clear, i don't think hi-vis alters driver behavior a great deal. I'm wondering specifically if the camera logo has a positive effect.
@jarlrmai's perception/experience is interesting, but I'd like to see some scientific testing.

classic33

Leg End Member
To be clear, i don't think hi-vis alters driver behavior a great deal. I'm wondering specifically if the camera logo has a positive effect.
@jarlrmai's perception/experience is interesting, but I'd like to see some scientific testing.
Using the "Polite" Hi-Vis vest, whilst using a headcam(or other camera), I found many seemed to come closer initially then move back.

I've had "Collision Camera In Use" which seemed to get them to give a bit more room.

PK99

Legendary Member
But being in the correct position on the road where you can be seen is more important in my opinion.

I always consider myself as part of the traffic and dont hide away in the gutter.

Correct. You want to be in the cone of vision of the following driver for as long as possible. Hide in the gutter and you slip out of the cone too early.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wear a Nigel Farage mask and about half the population with give you a wide berth. Combine that with a Corbyn T shirt and most drivers will steer well clear.

Top Bottom