Would this vest reduce close passes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edgy Dee

Cranky Old Guy
Most drivers are ok right? After all, most of us cyclists are drivers too! But too-close passing seems to be endemic in urban commuting. For many it seems to be ignorance and lack of consideration. But there are a few out there who are just downright malicious. Like the ones who squeeze past you 30 yards before a red stop light, then dive to the pavement to block you passing on the inside. So you cruise past on the outside and up to the Advanced Stop Line. It then takes them three sets of lights to catch up, whereupon they attempt the whole pathetic manoeuvre all over again. As with all bullying it's essential to stand your ground. It's intimidating, but rarely results in an actual collision. So get used to it, and fight back. You have far more manoeuverability, and a much greater sense of the roadspace than they do. Use that knowledge to your advantage. I find a quick wobble towards them as they pass really puts the wind up them. You are not responsible for the fragile egos of boy racers offended by your better progression on a bike. You are responsible for your own safety and dignity. A bike is a better vehicle in congested traffic. Just go out and demonstrate that principle.

gbb

Legendary Member
Most drivers are ok right? After all, most of us cyclists are drivers too! But too-close passing seems to be endemic in urban commuting. For many it seems to be ignorance and lack of consideration. But there are a few out there who are just downright malicious. Like the ones who squeeze past you 30 yards before a red stop light, then dive to the pavement to block you passing on the inside. So you cruise past on the outside and up to the Advanced Stop Line. It then takes them three sets of lights to catch up, whereupon they attempt the whole pathetic manoeuvre all over again. As with all bullying it's essential to stand your ground. It's intimidating, but rarely results in an actual collision. So get used to it, and fight back. You have far more manoeuverability, and a much greater sense of the roadspace than they do. Use that knowledge to your advantage. I find a quick wobble towards them as they pass really puts the wind up them. You are not responsible for the fragile egos of boy racers offended by your better progression on a bike. You are responsible for your own safety and dignity. A bike is a better vehicle in congested traffic. Just go out and demonstrate that principle.
I had exactly this one rush hour day in Pboro.
Cycle lane, minding my own business. Oldish Beemer pulls alongside me, passes, then quite deliberately closed off the cycle lane as he pulled up to static traffic. I just squirted around him on the drivers side, smiled and said through his open window...'dunno why you bothered mate :okay:'
Gave me a huge smile instead of getting irate about it.

GuyBoden

Guru
This one might work:

H0783TC1WH0000026270505050311BLWHREAfA,love-car-drivers.jpg

Kernow_T

Über Member
I think there's a much wider societal issue around members of society having a far greater sense of entitlement than they one did and wanting all the rights with none of the responsibilities. This translates into a real lack of patience; almost disbelief and dismay that they should be waylaid, sometimes, by up to a minute, by a cyclist/cyclists do anything other than an absurdly unnecessary and dangerous pass isn't entertained

Top Bottom