Would you buy now; height of the season of wait until later in the year; end of the season?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
First of all let me provide some detail on why I am asking the question.

I have been riding a Specialized Secteur; bottom entry level bike, for the last 4 years. I enjoy riding the bike but now I am looking to upgrade with the aim to buy the best frame I can for my budget, with a view that I will be happy to ride the bike for a good number of years, but equally happy to upgrade wheels and gears over time.

My criteria regarding the next bike is as follows:

Budget - up to £2k
Open to frame material
Looking for the geartrain to be upgradeable to Di2 / equivalent in the future
Again looking for a fairly decent set of wheels but will be happy to upgrade; possibly handmade in the future
Want 25mm wide tyres, as this is the tyre size I am use to riding

I am not looking to enter any races; in fact I am still to join a club. Currently I ride between 60 - 100 miles per week (3 rides per week, between 20 - 40 miles per ride).

My dilema, is should I bite the bullet and go out and buy a bike now in the height of the season, but still have plenty of time to ride it while the weather is good, or the sensible voice in my head is saying to wait until later in the year / end of the season when I may be able to get a better deal.

Your thoughts and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If it were me I would wait and think for the next few months then buy one 'end of season' at a reduced price. You don't sound like the kind of person that just 'must have the latest gear right now!' so using your current bike to see out the summer won't be a big hardship. The extra time waiting will help you refine your choice and you may find something better that you may have missed if you just jump straight in now and pay list price.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
If its a frame for life and then upgrade components as they wear out, look at getting a nice ti or steel frame.

Lots of those options out there now too from the likes of genesis, lynskey, van nichols, kinesis etc etc

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As this thread appears to be on the verge of being hijacked/derailed by the usual suspects I will try to give some sensible advice. Don't be talked into buying something exotic or impractical by the know-it-all's trying to pass themselves off as professors of cycling. The single most important factor is to find a bike that fits you well and suits your riding style. There are loads of bikes in the 1-2k price range that will tick your requirements and give you the grin factor whenever you ride them.
My roadbike was £899rrp and I bought it end-of-season discounted to just over £700 in 2011. Still makes me smile and I have no plans or need to replace it or upgrade. You don't have to be at or beyond your budget to achieve what you are looking for and anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is just trying to tell you what bike they want!

yello

You do get some good deals from bike shops by buying last year's model. And there's not a massive amount of difference between them, generally speaking, year on year.

That isn't true of all brands though methinks. You might get it on Spec or Trek, Giant or Cannondale, etc but maybe less likely on a Van Nicholas.

I'd identify what it is you're after (or thereabouts) and go from there. There could be an argument for buying now... and how exciting is that! ;)

Wafer

Veteran
Are you enjoying riding the Secteur now? If you get something off season, do you want to wait several months before enjoying it in the good weather again?
Tempting to just go for it and enjoy it, could pick a lower spec bike now based on a good frame and start riding, then pick up some of the upgrades when they are on offer.

That said, if there's no problem with the Secteur it's not like you can't get out and enjoy the weather while we've got it.

Not a lot of help, straight forward head vs heart decision. If the finances are really tight I'd probably wait, if I felt like I could afford it without too much restriction elsewhere I'd probably do it now and start enjoying it sooner. That said I'm busy procrastinating about the next purchase.... though more because I don't know exactly what I want rather than pondering price!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I think if I had been riding the same bike for 4 years I would be happy to wait another 4 months to get a 2015 one at a reduced price.
I managed to get a last years Defy at over 30% off so if you've got £2k to spend in a few months you could be looking at something that's £2.5k to £3k at the current market.

Citius

My dilema, is should I bite the bullet and go out and buy a bike now in the height of the season, but still have plenty of time to ride it while the weather is good, or the sensible voice in my head is saying to wait until later in the year / end of the season when I may be able to get a better deal.

There are deals available all year round and as someone else mentioned earlier, new model-year bikes can sometimes only have a different paint job, or other incremental changes. If you want a bike now, buy one now. You will not achieve anything significant by waiting.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Just like with computers, phones, cars, clothes etc, you wait and wait and wait some more, and things get refreshed, renewed, better specced, lighter, tighter, brighter, and then ultimately time passes and they all get discounted and promoted and bundled and put on sale the following year.

If you want a new bike right now, just go for it, and take whatever deals you are offered.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
As this thread appears to be on the verge of being hijacked/derailed by the usual suspects I will try to give some sensible advice. Don't be talked into buying something exotic or impractical by the know-it-all's trying to pass themselves off as professors of cycling. The single most important factor is to find a bike that fits you well and suits your riding style. There are loads of bikes in the 1-2k price range that will tick your requirements and give you the grin factor whenever you ride them.
My roadbike was £899rrp and I bought it end-of-season discounted to just over £700 in 2011. Still makes me smile and I have no plans or need to replace it or upgrade. You don't have to be at or beyond your budget to achieve what you are looking for and anyone that tries to tell you otherwise is just trying to tell you what bike they want!
Having fully read the OPs post my advice wasnt nothing short on anything he asked for

Budget of upto 2k
Open to any frame material
All advice appreciated

Ti and Steel are no more exotic than carbon or alloy these days and can he bought for well within the 2k budget the op is awilling to spend.

As for your comment about people trying to derail the thread and only advising on the type of bike the desire for themselves, then your way off line in that instance is i own both Ti and Steel bikes.

But your advice to the OP is well written, gives very good advice on how to buy a decent spec machine within his generous budget :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Now isn't a bad time. Most brands have already launched their 2016 models, and a lot of retails will chip the prices down on their stock of 2015 bikes. Some discounts can be massive, as much as 50%, so Its worth keeping g an eye on the likes of Pauls, Evans and Wiggles websites.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am a bargain hunter - so if buying right now I would be looking at 2014 bikes. If waiting, then I would try to hold out until at least September before looking at 2015 models. The other option is the Canyon/Rose route who tend not to deep discount but generally have keener prices.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Buy this. (If it fits.) It's over £1000 off on account of a few scratches and a chunk out of the saddle. And it's just down the road from you. Or something similar.

It never ceases to amaze me how no-one ever suggests looking for second hand bikes. People upgrade all the time, very often very quickly. ebay is absolutely stuffed full of bikes you can get for upwards of 50% off, on account of they've done the kind of mileage any proper rider will do in 3 months. And spare me the 'they're all nicked' rubbish. Very few of them are. And very little effort is required to make all-but-certain yours won't be one of them.

Bicykell

Snap!

I am on exactly the same mission.

I am tormenting the sales people in a few LBSs and have to say how surprised I am at how much my opinions diverge from what is regarded as the dogs whatsits on Roadcc and Bikeradar.

For instance, I have yet to see a review on the Charge plug5, but was very impressed with its comfort and handling. Roadcc did t seem that impressed with the Plug4, a very similar bike. Anyway, It was sold under my nose when I got back to the shop but I wasn't too disappointed. It still puzzles me why I wasn't really pee'd off. The bike felt light, responsive and comfortable. And it was a scratch and dent ex demo so had £800 off. A bargain for someone.

I had a go on a very flash looking Bianchi yesterday and came away lacking in whelmedness. On cobbles and smooth Tarmac I was surprised to find myself preferring (yes preferring) my Sirrus sport. I am being assured that Carbon is the frame to go for, but so far prefer steel and am thinking about trying a Genesis Equilibrium. I am also going back to have a go on on a C2 which looks fabulous, a Look (though I don't think they have my size in) and a Giant around the same price - much too close to 2k for my liking. I was looking for something closer to £1500.

I am enjoying finding the Right Bike, and am looking forward to seeing the 2016 models. Are you in a rush or are you like me, enjoying gazing?

I keep looking on eBay but feel far from convinced that I will buy a bike online as LBSs deserve to be rewarded for all their advice and guidance.

I would be really interested to hear your opinions on what you try out. Please keep updating.

Top Bottom