Would you buy now; height of the season of wait until later in the year; end of the season?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lee1980sim

I know the feeling the OP is going through, had my hybrid for 3+ years now and keep looking to upgrade it, not after anything special, rephrase - expensive, I've been looking at a couple and can't decide whether to get one now, so I can enjoy the warm weather cycling or wait until winter (January) had the bike checked over recently and mostly it's fine so think I'm just yearning for something new (that and I want rid of the suspension forks lol)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
For instance, I have yet to see a review on the Charge plug5, but was very impressed with its comfort and handling. Roadcc did t seem that impressed with the Plug4, a very similar bike.
When I was looking at my current hybrid in 2010 I was really struggling to find a review of my chosen bike, a GT Traffic 1.0. The only reviews I did find were damning with phrases like neutral handling, stable but uninspiring ride, not easy to ride in a hurry. What a load of tosh! This is still my default bike in any circumstance and I have done 100+ mile rides in complete comfort, 10 mile TT commute sprints, off-road forays and ridden down flights of steps. This bike is FUN, even with full panniers and mudguards. Reviews are often written by reviewers trying to suck up to the importers/manufacturers that provide the bikes they test so have to be taken with a pinch of salt. Try the bikes you are drawn to and buy the one that feels good.

lee1980sim

If I read reviews I probably wouldn't have half the stuff I own due to it being substandard to whatever the reviewer likes more I buy what I like the look of etc that's within my budget, and I've never failed to be happy with my purchases

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Beg, borrow or steal a few bikes for sample rides to see which ones you like. When you decide which, buy last year's model between December and February when it's 30% cheaper than RRP. It makes sense to me.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
@Bicykell great post. I have read in interest all of the posts to this thread and I am grateful for all and each of the various opinions.

The bottom line is that no I am not in any rush to go out and buy a new bike tomorrow; that said if I came across what I feel is the right bike and I feel I am getting a good deal then yes I will buy.

It is really interesting that so many people think and feel that carbon is the material of choice; now I am not saying that I may not end up with a carbon frame, I have a veru open mind, it is just that with this next purchase I am looking for a bike that I can add to and keep for some time.

In terms of buyig secondhand, I must admit that this was not something that I had considered, but as with the frame material I will take a look and keep an open mind. One thing that does concern me about buyin secondhand is frame size. My current Secteur is a 54" frame, but not being the tallest guy in the world (5'8" and 31" inside leg) I am right on the limit and have wondered a number of times if a 52" frame may have suited me better.

What is going to be interesting going forward is how long the better half is going to go before getting bored at visiting cycle shops and looking at bikes :bicycle:

Bicykell

Beg, borrow or steal a few bikes for sample rides to see which ones you like. When you decide which, buy last year's model between December and February when it's 30% cheaper than RRP. It makes sense to me.

Absolute sense. However, cycling, to me at any rate, is a mixture of head and heart. I started cycling to get fit, but now find that the enjoyment and exhilaration of pedaling round the Eden valley has pushed the health and fitness down the list of reasons why I do it.

Maybe I'm getting it wrong (I'm certainly wandering off the topic of helping someone buy a bike for 2k) but I am hoping that I will ride a bike that will say "right, you've found me, what you gonna do about it?" after a mile or so. I am sure it will be more than I want to pay and probably not what I set out to buy, but it will be the Right One For Me. I think I would be very lucky if I found it in the end of season sales in my size and in my LBS.

Which brings it back on topic at last. The OP is hoping for signposts to help him find his perfect 2k bike. With luck he will know it when he finds it, but it won't just be based on sense and logic. The hearts got to be in there too.

potsy

Rambler
The bottom line is that no I am not in any rush to go out and buy a new bike tomorrow; that said if I came across what I feel is the right bike and I feel I am getting a good deal then yes I will buy.
I think you've pretty much answered your own question here, exactly what I would do.

Most of my bikes have been bought because I wanted that specific model, no faffing about just go buy one.
If however you haven't narrowed it down to 'the' bike then there's no harm in waiting until you decide at your leisure.

screenman

Legendary Member
I buy something when I want it and not to save money, time is the one thing we cannot get more of. Put a price on the pleasure you may get out of it, is that worth more than the couple of quid you will save waiting until the dark grey months to buy something you may not want to get dirty.

Finally is the money you are spending fully disposable, if not then wait until it is.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
I buy something when I want it and not to save money, time is the one thing we cannot get more of. Put a price on the pleasure you may get out of it, is that worth more than the couple of quid you will save waiting until the dark grey months to buy something you may not want to get dirty.

Finally is the money you are spending fully disposable, if not then wait until it is.

Again another very valid post and this is where the heart takes the lead over the head.

I appreciate that I am just another member on this forum but anyone who knows me personally knows that I will only buy something because I can afford to, but thanks @screenman for raising the question.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am also a head before heart person, plus I have a stable full of bikes so n+1 is not urgent. It does not stop me looking on the Canyon website daily though.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My situation was the same as yours last year but I thought I had left it too late............as "this years models" sale tends to start August/Sept(ish).
However in December I was advised by a (very nice) cc Member that Giant Concept stores were offering a massive 40% off what was left. I got 2 very nice bikes for the price I thought I would pay for 1 :smile:............one was a Giant Defy Advanced £1800 reduced to £1200.
So.........I would recommend waiting.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Called in to Red Kite cycles in Shirley, Solihull today and had a good look / chat about the Trek Emonda SL 5 carbon, Storck Visioner C carbon and a Condor Acciaio steel bike.
Whilst I accept Trek make good bikes I am afraid that I do not like the Lime Green colour of the Emonda SL 5 frame; no offence to anyone who has one, is not for me.
The storck is a nice bike and upgradeable, which fits the bill. However, availability may be an issue.
The Condor is something different and really did look nice; again only my opinion which others may not agree with.

The question running through my mind right now, is if I went down the rout of a steel frame and had it built to my specification, which I could alter in the future, is my speed likely to be affected? From what I have read, and as confirmed through todays discussion, the ride would be more smooth and compliant on the wonderful roads we have in this country, but the frame will be heaveir.

Opinions and views greatly appreciated.

doog

Firstly I would buy something right now and make use of the decent weather over the next few months.....I had a similar dilemna a few years back and ended up buying a CAAD10 in white 2012 model(which i didnt want but that was all that was available)...couldnt get the 2013, fretted over it...even visited cannondale HQ, tried to source a bike from abroad ...no joy. Bit the bullet, love the bike, and more importantly was out riding within a week...have since upgraded it and prefer it to my carbon supersix.

Would I get steel..... Ive a carbon and alu road bike - have major back issues and hauling a light framed alu or carbon framed bike up hills puts a hell of a lot less stress on me than my heavier framed steel tourer or CX bike...

If your worried about the ride stick some 25mm tyres on it...or even 28..that will compensate for the dodgy roads..

Top Bottom