Would you expect a new bike to be road tested?

Do you expect a new bike to be road tested?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hellchops

Hi guys

I've had an interesting discussion today regarding the road testing of new bikes.

My question: if you were purchasing a new bike from a store, would you expect it to be road tested?

I'm talking about a short ride up the road to to check gears, brakes and generally make sure that everything works properly.

The two sides of the argument:
For the test - a road test is essential in checking that the bike works as it should on the road (as opposed to a work stand).
Against the test ride - Once the bike's been on the ride, it's not 'brand new'.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Any LBS worth spending your money on should be able to get it right on the stand without having to ride it up and down the street.
If I'm bringing it in for repairs/ to check things over then of course I expect them to ride it, but brand new it should work.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Don't know about others, but all 3 of mine have been supplied built by the LBS, and all 3 have been given a good going over by me at home before they get ridden. I would not expect anything other than a stand setup, since it's all likely to stretch in over the first few hundred miles anyway.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
In my experience a new bike doesn't get you past 30km before the gears need re-indexing, seat post adjusted and maybe saddle position tweaked. Road testing won't really achieve much.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If it's sold as ready to ride I'd expect it to be sold as safe to ride. I once got caught out with a Boardman that hadn't had the stem tightened when I rode off on it.... I wouldn't mind a wee bit of use provided it was good to go.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
All decent shops offer the first service for free after a few hundred miles. This is to adjust the very things such as cable stretch, subtle tweeks etc.
With regards to the bike being fit for purpose the PDI should check for all bolts etc to be correctly torqued. Once you actually ride it you will get a feel for it and probably want to make your own minor adjustments.

I agree with points above...a decent shop should set it up perfectly...unfortunately I've been on the wrong end of a poor build...it just made sure never to go back to that chain of stores again!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A road test isn't necessary. Bikes I have received from Ribble and Rose have been perfectly set up. I really don't understand why local bike shops and other larger retailers can't assemble bikes properly as well. It's not difficult. You wouldn't accept a car with badly adjusted brakes, gears, steering and underinflated tyres, and a bike with those faults is potentially just as dangerous.

Ern1e

Über Member
IMO it would depend on who was doing the road test ! if it is the person using the bike which had been purchased at the LBS after set up then yes but by someone else no.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
On my last 2 bikes I have asked the LBS to make sure the bikes are taken for a decent ride before I get them. They won't do it unless I ask them because as someone has said, it is no longer new.

Steve

OP
OP
H

Hellchops

Unless a bike is purchased as an ornament, it should be test ridden. This has nothing to do with how competent the mechanic is who assembled it. But it has more to do with the fact that we live in the real world, not cycling fantasia.

In the real world, humans make mistakes (the better ones less) and in the real world products are not always as good as we expect them to be and therefore need to be tested. I appreciate that there are few product failures on new bikes, and that it's possible that a manufacturing error might not even be picked up on a short 2 minute test ride. But why risk it? What harm can be caused to your bike in a short road test?

The fact of the matter is that a bicycle undergoes different loads when ridden on the road compared to being in a stand. A minor example is front ring shifting. A (new) bike's front mech can be adjusted for perfect shifting in the stand, but on the road the upshift is likely to be sluggish. More cable tension will solve this, but there's a fine balance between quick enough upshift and chain rub (on the inside of the front mech). Experience and diligence will minimise the discrepancy between 'on the road' and 'in the stand' variances. But with the vast variety of bikes, components and manufacturing standards it is impossible for any mechanic to be able to guarantee (100%) that a bike he's built will work perfectly without testing.

Some might feel arrogant enough to do so, but it would be naive and foolish. For the most part, a good mechanic will assemble each bike to perfection. But for the sake of certainty and customer satisfaction, in my opinion, a test ride would be wise choice. If you're genuinely concerned about a slight amount of dirt on your tyres then I feel for you.

For the record, road bikes are much easier to setup than MTBs. I would be interested to know how many of you are roadies and/MTBers?

400bhp

Guru
Unless a bike is purchased as an ornament, it should be test ridden. This has nothing to do with how competent the mechanic is who assembled it. But it has more to do with the fact that we live in the real world, not cycling fantasia.

In the real world, humans make mistakes (the better ones less) and in the real world products are not always as good as we expect them to be and therefore need to be tested. I appreciate that there are few product failures on new bikes, and that it's possible that a manufacturing error might not even be picked up on a short 2 minute test ride. But why risk it? What harm can be caused to your bike in a short road test?

The fact of the matter is that a bicycle undergoes different loads when ridden on the road compared to being in a stand. A minor example is front ring shifting. A (new) bike's front mech can be adjusted for perfect shifting in the stand, but on the road the upshift is likely to be sluggish. More cable tension will solve this, but there's a fine balance between quick enough upshift and chain rub (on the inside of the front mech). Experience and diligence will minimise the discrepancy between 'on the road' and 'in the stand' variances. But with the vast variety of bikes, components and manufacturing standards it is impossible for any mechanic to be able to guarantee (100%) that a bike he's built will work perfectly without testing.

Some might feel arrogant enough to do so, but it would be naive and foolish. For the most part, a good mechanic will assemble each bike to perfection. But for the sake of certainty and customer satisfaction, in my opinion, a test ride would be wise choice. If you're genuinely concerned about a slight amount of dirt on your tyres then I feel for you.

For the record, road bikes are much easier to setup than MTBs. I would be interested to know how many of you are roadies and/MTBers?

You need to consider risk.

what is the risk of the bike not being tested?

Likelihood x impact.

Then think about what you're saying.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hi guys

I've had an interesting discussion today regarding the road testing of new bikes.

My question: if you were purchasing a new bike from a store, would you expect it to be road tested?

I'm talking about a short ride up the road to to check gears, brakes and generally make sure that everything works properly.

The two sides of the argument:
For the test - a road test is essential in checking that the bike works as it should on the road (as opposed to a work stand).
Against the test ride - Once the bike's been on the ride, it's not 'brand new'.
No.
I want it virginal.

Top Bottom