Would you install a weightless motor to your bike?

• Thread starter Deleted member 121159
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would love the motor - and battery - on my ebike to weigh nothing

however, in terms of cheating, the main thing that I notice is that it allows me to go faster than I normally would
this is not an advantage because I can pass a load of people in Lycra - mostly because I can't because road bike people in lycra generally pass me due to the ebike motor cut-out
but because this means I can go further with the same effort and in less time. This puts more interesting places within range and takes away some of the effort required to get up the enthusiasm to go out in the first place

There has been a lot of research done that shows that ebike riders go further and more often than "normal" bike riders
In my opinion it is the "more often" bit that matters most as the more often you go out the fitter you get
no point in having a wonderful bike that gets used once a month when you can have an ebike and use it every week

IMO

but a lighter one would be nice when I get to some of the steps on some routes I tend to avoid as it is a pain getting an ebike up them!!!

a.twiddler

Veteran
A strange question, as the weightless motor doesn't yet exist. We would all like a bit more oomph up hills. With current technology, it's not the weight so much, but the loss of innocence, the simplicity of any one of several bikes that you might have in your garage just waiting to go, with perhaps a squirt of oil and a bit of air in your tyres.

This would be traded for range anxiety, if I don't use it regularly will it shorten the battery life, Is there enough charge for my trip, not welcome on some trains, do I need to make special charging arrangements in the remote likelihood that the battery fails while charging and causes a fire? Will it be a thief magnet? How much complication will it add to my life?

Would it be such a revelation to ride that it would take away the simple pleasures in riding my other "acoustic" bikes, and change my life and outlook in that way, so that only assisted bikes will press my buttons? It might solve the problem of Mrs T moaning about the amount of bikes I've got!

Once dissatisfaction is introduced into your life, it not only affects the present, but could devalue all those memories of trips once done on a "push bike" when you didn't know any better (and the technology didn't exist). Most on this forum won't think like that, and even though I've been a lifelong motorcyclist neither do I, as there's a clear division between achievements on a human powered machine and those done on a motorised vehicle. Introducing an assisted bicycle to the mix could make the division less clear, and change your perception of yourself. Curiously, though, when riding a recumbent, I've been asked several times, " is it electric?"

Perhaps, like Pandora's box, once the lid is opened, you can never close it again, and there is no going back.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
In the context of setting personal goals and challenges, for example, even if there's no official competition. What if you set out to complete a 400k ride and got a friend to drive a van in front of you for drafting? What if you waited for the day when there's constant tailwind?

So What?

If that's what floats some ones boat it's their business and nobody elses.

Many cyclists seem to take great offence if they are out cycling and an e-bike passes them on a hill, even though it hasn't affected them in the slightest . I find this a bit worrying, it puts them in the same ball park as the Audi driver who gets the red mist when he's overtaken by a "Lesser" car.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
In the context of setting personal goals and challenges, for example, even if there's no official competition. What if you set out to complete a 400k ride and got a friend to drive a van in front of you for drafting? What if you waited for the day when there's constant tailwind?

I always plan my long rides to best use the weather conditions, to do anything else is just folly.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Interesting question. I think in my case the answer is no. If I wanted to make my bike faster I could always (a) carry less pointless crap around with me or (b) buy a lighter bike or (c) ride it in flatter places or (heaven forbid) (d) pedal a bit harder. I only ride for a bit of fun and exercise. If I worried about how fast I was, life would be a constant disappointment.

So no, I don't think I would. If I was still commuting ... maybe.
Same here, apart from that I'm still commuting but the commute is flat so no assistance required ... yet lol
As my cycling is very sedate, I would consider e-assisted only if I was renting a cargo bike or if I were to go on tour with a group of much stronger cyclists.
I'm still relatively healthy: should this change, that would probably also be an incentive to look at Ebikes.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 121159

A strange question, as the weightless motor doesn't yet exist. We would all like a bit more oomph up hills. With current technology, it's not the weight so much, but the loss of innocence, the simplicity of any one of several bikes that you might have in your garage just waiting to go, with perhaps a squirt of oil and a bit of air in your tyres.

This would be traded for range anxiety, if I don't use it regularly will it shorten the battery life, Is there enough charge for my trip, not welcome on some trains, do I need to make special charging arrangements in the remote likelihood that the battery fails while charging and causes a fire? Will it be a thief magnet? How much complication will it add to my life?

Would it be such a revelation to ride that it would take away the simple pleasures in riding my other "acoustic" bikes, and change my life and outlook in that way, so that only assisted bikes will press my buttons? It might solve the problem of Mrs T moaning about the amount of bikes I've got!

Once dissatisfaction is introduced into your life, it not only affects the present, but could devalue all those memories of trips once done on a "push bike" when you didn't know any better (and the technology didn't exist). Most on this forum won't think like that, and even though I've been a lifelong motorcyclist neither do I, as there's a clear division between achievements on a human powered machine and those done on a motorised vehicle. Introducing an assisted bicycle to the mix could make the division less clear, and change your perception of yourself. Curiously, though, when riding a recumbent, I've been asked several times, " is it electric?"

Perhaps, like Pandora's box, once the lid is opened, you can never close it again, and there is no going back.
Nor will it ever do! It's a thought experiment designed to test how we feel about using technology to improve cycling performance, just a hypothetical device offered as a comparison to existing technologies.

But I agree with your point about the hassle of e-cycling. Not something I can see taking up any time soon. At the same time, I know some utility cyclists really dislike hills. Utility cyclists might not see cycling as an athletic activity at all. For those people e-bikes may be a game changer.

Does this weightless motor also have a weightless battery😉

Isn’t the question more like a powered bike weighing the same as a non powered biked ? I say that as an ebike with no motor and no battery still weighs a lot…. many parts are heavier duty and frames are always heavier as well.

On my commuter i really don’t care about the weight as the system when loaded (without rider) is around 40kgs so a few kg’s here and there doesn’t make too much difference 🤔

Punkawallah

Über Member
In a competition, using aerodynamic technology to make cycling easier is allowed but using medical technology to achieve the same is not allowed. Why?

Obviously the gains achieved by EPO would be much greater than deep section wheels. But suppose there's a medical technology to save 10 watts rather than 100 watts or whatever. Should that be allowed? (Assume that it doesn't make their hearts burst either)

In competition only certain technological advantages are allowed - the ruling body make (apparently arbitrary) decisions on how light your bike can go, how tall your socks are, etc. While I’d hope the ban on medical technology is in the interests of the riders, I rather think it’s because it’s harder to quantify and control.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Absolutely yes. It would enable the rider to either go faster, or farther, or both. I would still be overtaken by fit people on road bikes but I wouldn't care.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've nothing against ebikes, but wouldn't want one at the moment regardless of weight. Why?

1. Range is more important than weight. My most enjoyable rides are way beyond the range of ebikes.

2. Simplicity. Don't want to faff around ensuring batteries are charged. More things to go wrong, which are also much less easy to fix than a normal bike if they do.

If the question became: "Would you install a weightless, perfectly reliable motor to your bike with infinite range", then yes, but that's the same question as "Would you like to be magically fitter".

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
No, I ride the bike to keep fit. I can see a leisure use for e-bikes to keep up with group rides when you're old, but I don't think I'd do it; it would feel like cheating.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No, I ride the bike to keep fit. I can see a leisure use for e-bikes to keep up with group rides when you're old, but I don't think I'd do it; it would feel like cheating.

Riding a heavy e-bike at considerably over the 15.5mph assistance cut-off to keep up with the group keeps you plenty fit :okay:

Top Bottom