Would you Name Your Daughter Nutella?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30993608 :wacko:

A French court has stopped parents from naming their baby girl Nutella after the hazelnut spread, ruling that it would make her the target of derision.

The judge ordered that the child be called Ella instead.

He said in his ruling that the name Nutella was the trade name of a spread that is commonplace in Gallic homes.

"And it is contrary to the child's interest to have a name that can only lead to teasing or disparaging thoughts," he pronounced.

French parents are usually free to choose the names of their children, but local prosecutors are empowered to report what they deem to be unsuitable names to a family court.

The parents in the case on Monday did not attend the court hearing, so the judge decided in their absence that Ella was a more appropriate name.

What was the judge's name? Windolene?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nutella is no more ridiculous than some of the names we get here.

Then there's the folk who work in the media and find themselves saddled with boring forgettable names so change the spelling to something a bit more edgy.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
No...but I once met a ginger kid called Lester who stank of cheese, which probably carried more of a case for a judges intervention. Let them call it what they want. Can always change it at a later date, should twatishness become too much.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
She would grow up well bread, and be able to earn a crust. Hazel is a nice name too.
These sort of names are spreading

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3500020, member: 9609"]is it not a bit sexist having names that distinguish the sex of a child? you will be suggesting specific toys like dolls and guns next.[/QUOTE]

That's food for thought. How about calling girls Bernard, and introducing tampons for boys?

Distinguishing between masculine and feminine isn't sexist per se. It's descriptive, and only becomes prescriptive when used in a manner that brings disadvantage.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
And I know a sioux named Boi. As rich said, it's spreading. Where's threeslicesmcginty when intellectual input is urgently needed? (Yes, I know - same place as ever...)

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."
I have a friend in America who is called Sioux (I really do!) who runs a restaurant. I tried to phone her the other day to make a reservation but couldn't get through - it was a patchy reception.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No...but I once met a ginger kid called Lester who stank of cheese, which probably carried more of a case for a judges intervention. Let them call it what they want. Can always change it at a later date, should twatishness become too much.

Red Leicester?:biggrin:

Top Bottom