Would you overtake a learner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OneArmedBandit

Cycling along down a slight downhill today and a learner driver pulled out in front of me. Slammed on the brakes and took primary behind them. However, they continued to trundle along at less than 10mph.

Throughly cheesed off I pulled out to overtake them on the outside, however, when I was level with the drivers window they decided to accelerate. I'm not sure if they were oblivious, stupid, or a bit of both. I pushed hard to complete the overtake and pulled back inside.

It was a quiet road so there was no need for them to pull out - I assumed they did the whole cyclist = 7mph = I have plenty of time, and maybe it taught them a lesson albeit not the finest cycling on my part either.

I was thinking afterwards, should I not have overtaken them at all on account of them being a learner and unpredictable? Or does that just teach them a lesson before they even have a licence that cyclists belong behind them?

(On the plus side further up the road a lady in a Zafira came round the corner on the wrong side of the road, but stopped and was extremely apologetic about it which cheered me up in an odd way.)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
On road driving tuition is rarely well received by the driver and the car presents a greater hazard to you when it's behind you.

Conclusion is stay back and stay safe.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I tend to give them a wide berth and let them get on with it; if you get close and they do something odd and you come a cropper it's as much your fault as it is theirs. Of course the instructor has a duty of care to prevent these things from happening, but other road users can make their life a lot harder than it needs to be at times :laugh:

I have also overtaken learners in the past, I don't always practice what I preach :blush:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'd steer well clear. Most family members supervising are hopeless, and most instructors are no better. Hang back, give yourself plenty of time and space to react to any further daftness.

BTW, well done for keeping one eye on side roads/driveways and riding at a speed that would allow you to haul up is someone pulled out in front of you.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Whenever it's safe to do so, I over take everyone, learner or not.

Occasionally I swear at them proclaiming "Why tf dont you learn to drive a car?" and they reply "errr I am..." - that shuts me right up.

Sometimes I overtake themy, sometimes not. Generally I will stick behind and be patient.

With non learners though, especially fast cars in traffic, I will try to overtake, just so I can big myself up that I overtook a Ferrari or such hahaha. Little things please little minds I guess.

gbb

Legendary Member
Given in the OP the driver failed to accelerate at first (And at that stage, you have no idea if they're going to do that for the next mile ), I'd have thought about overtaking, but once they'd got themselves together and actually started accelerating (as OP was beside them at this point) I'd have dropped back.
In simple terms, modify your actions as the situation demands.

si_c

Guru
If a learner is moving slower than me, I overtake them. If they're driving at a comfortable pace I'll sit right behind them and draft them, like I would any other car. If anything it should make them think more about how fast cyclists can actually go.

D

Deleted member 26715

Was this a liveried L plated car, or simply a car with L plates on?

Cycling along down a slight downhill today and a learner driver pulled out in front of me. Slammed on the brakes and took primary behind them. However, they continued to trundle along at less than 10mph.

Throughly cheesed off I pulled out to overtake them on the outside, however, when I was level with the drivers window they decided to accelerate. I'm not sure if they were oblivious, stupid, or a bit of both. I pushed hard to complete the overtake and pulled back inside.

It was a quiet road so there was no need for them to pull out - I assumed they did the whole cyclist = 7mph = I have plenty of time, and maybe it taught them a lesson albeit not the finest cycling on my part either.

I was thinking afterwards, should I not have overtaken them at all on account of them being a learner and unpredictable? Or does that just teach them a lesson before they even have a licence that cyclists belong behind them?

(On the plus side further up the road a lady in a Zafira came round the corner on the wrong side of the road, but stopped and was extremely apologetic about it which cheered me up in an odd way.)

I think because he was a learner; he was going slow; and it was a quiet road....you did the right thing.

However, if it was an ordinary driver, I would simply stay calm and stay behind.

Top Bottom