would you take a pashley princess off road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

OK, I'll keep it simple.
OP, - The Pashley AND the Batavus would be bloody hard work on rough tracks. The gearing will be too high.

All others - A common fault ( but deliberate ) of OEM bike builders. 15 & 16 tooth Sturmey sprockets are cheaper than 22 tooth sprockets, AND, when you fit a 15 or 16 sprocket, you need less chain. As OEMs buy chain on the reel, less chain means less cost. Makes for less production expense thus more profit.

OP - There is the Raleigh Pioneer Elite. Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub. £430.
But there is the Pashley Sonnet, which has a recent cult status amongst the ladies in town. 3 Speed Sturmey and HUB BRAKES, which means no black brake block mess in the wet.

byegad

Legendary Member
Ridden as it's meant to be, regally? The Princess will take some light off roading in its stride. I agree about dropping the gearing on almost ANY Three speed equipped bike but I live in County Durham where a 30" bottom geat is an absolute maximum bottom gear if you want to ride most of the hills.

SA are about to launch a new 3 speed with the direct drive as top gear and two lower gears. The late Sheldon Brown, among others pressed for this an they have responded.

StuartG

slower but further
I wouldn't worry too much about gears. See if you can borrow a similar bike from the LBS and have a ride around it. If, and only if, you are finding it hard to push down the pedals ask the LBS to change them. My wife used to get up quite steep hills on her single speed Hercules so any gears are a great leap forward. Indeed she doesn't like too many even now (in her mid fifties).

Some people have a natural slow cadence, others a much faster one. So what is good for one person may feel uncomfortable for another. So just try and enjoy.

I think all the new Pashleys have hub brakes now. There is also a Pashley Provence, which is I think classed as a hybrid, that is pretty. Velorbis now do a Studine which is a cheaper version of the Scrap, (that's its name), which is also pretty cool. I'm sure you'd manage & I'm thinking of getting a ladylike bike for gentle pootling & I've got MTB, folders & a recumbent.

If you find you want to do more, get another & keep the first one for gentle rides in the park etc!

Most of all, ENJOY it when you ride, whatever bike you ride!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
That posh ginger haired woman from Gardener's World used to get on the same train as me every morning with a Princess. Usually had all sorts of stuff strapped to it and a dog in the basket. Looked a pretty sturdy old thing (the bike). It'll be fine.

Top Bottom