would you take a pashley princess off road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dutchunter

Hi all.. this is my first post so..bear with me ;)

I'm about to purchase my first bike...and will also be learning to ride for the first time as well (..i'm 28 and never rode a bike before yikes)

When I started looking I was considering a bike mainly for commuting..to school/work and back neither of which are more than 3 or 4 miles away.
So I sort of narrowed it down to the batavus old dutch and the pashley princess.

I love the sitting position on these bikes, and I don't think I need much more than 3 gears.. there aren't any hills where I live, it's a pretty straightforward route.
I had a look at the two of them in person yesterday and I must say the batavus is huge.. so i'm more drawn to the pashley right now.

I always thought that I would want to take the bike off road every now and again- by offroad I mean a footpath, or dirt roads through a park etc... but somehow I didn't consider that too much while I was having a look at bikes.

So to cut this story short..my question..

Do you think I will have any problems taking the pashley princess off road for the occasional (sunday) ride...i'm not sure what distances i'm taking about.. But lets just say long rides to be safe..(I did ask at the bike shop, but the guy was pretty clueless)

or

Should I instead be considering another type of bike. I would really like to get this one..i'm completely in love.. but if it's going to limit (severely) how much I can get out of it..then I suppose I would be open to consider others.

Thanks guys!

Any bike will cope with a bit of 'off-road' as you describe. The term is a bit confusing, to a mountain biker 'off-road' means mud, tree roots and other challenging terrain which requires big fat knobbly tyres, lots of gears and possibly suspension. Your definition is somewhat less extreme.

OP
OP
D

dutchunter

Thanks Mickle...yes much less extreme I think.
There are quite a few lovely paths (parks, horse riding, country-like lanes) along here and I have good access to grand union canal paths..so something along those lines..easy rides on unpaved roads is more of what I mean.

So..you think I could stick with the pashley.

Yup, no problem. As long as you accept the limitations of the Princesses tyres and don't start riding down flights of stairs and the like she'll be fine. Make sure your tyres are always fully inflated though. Under inflated tyres are more likely to suffer from flats.

OP
OP
D

dutchunter

haha limitations atm would be more related to me not being able to balance ;)
I decided to test a random dutch cycle while at a shop yesterday..took it out on the street..let me tell ya.. not pretty
I thought I was alright before then..been fooling around on a friend's bike and had been whizzing around ok, got a little confident, thought, hey..I might actually get this riding thing down...but after yesterday..and me walking that bike instead of riding it..lol.. I dunno

got-to-get-fit

The pashley would be fine for what you describe but dont be surprised if after learning to ride properly that you become more confident and want to travel further and further and over more challenging terraine. So i wouldnt rule out the possibility that in a few month you are going to want something a bit more sporty or rugged.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
You'll be able to cope with towpaths, parks and woodland tracks with no problems although you might wish you had more gears. If you hit sand or serious mud, you will have difficulties as you would on any bike except for a real purpose built off roader.

RedBike

When I read pashley princess and off-road in the same topic title I thought this must be a wind up. However, I had a somewhat different definition of off-road. For the sort of riding you're doing the princess will be fine.

The only thing to watch out for is the mud-guards. They're perfect for keeping you and the bike clean as you splash through muddy puddles but you're likely to get leaves, mud etc trapped between the guards and the wheels.

jimboalee

The Pashley is built near me, so I'm urging you to buy British.

If its the Princess Classic, its got a Sturmey 3 speed. Ask the shop to re-gear it ( exchange rear sprocket - 22 tooth ) so No. 2 gear is close to 52 inches. It will prob have a 46 tooth front ring, so a 22 ( the biggest available ) will give you 54 inches.

No. 1 gear will then be 41 inches, and No. 3 gear will be 72 inches.

A 72 inch gear on this bike for a beginner is still a tad high, but 23 sprockets are like gold dust (RHS).

The 54 inch No. 2 gear will feel right on tow paths and tracks. The 41 inch gear will get you up quite steep gradients.

Happy riding.

I've ridden off road on my penny - during their heyday the roads were just dirt tracks anyway - so having gears, brakes and those new pump up tyre thingies should make it easy;)

sloe

Do you think you could have made it any more confusing to someone who cannot even ride a bike right now? I wonder why people thing cyclists can be a touch elitist now and again

Yes, but Dutchunter has kept his virginity all these years till he's found the right princess to get his leg over. Paying top price too.

He is the effing elite!

Top Bottom