Would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My helmet keeps my hair from becoming an frizzy windswept mess. I highly recommend it for that - only if asked :rolleyes:

Yes, if they were Downhilling,

Maybe, if they were riding AM or technical XC

No, on the road or light off road.

on the road

Über Member
Seeing as I don't wear a helmet then I wouldn't encourage someone to wear a helmet. But the question for me should be would I encourage someone NOT to wear a helmet, and the answer is no.

david k

Hi
Seeing as I don't wear a helmet then I wouldn't encourage someone to wear a helmet. But the question for me should be would I encourage someone NOT to wear a helmet, and the answer is no.

its does feel like some people do though, when the 'evidence' is shown repeatably that wearing one puts people off cycling which makes the obese and increases their risk of death then i feel brow beat into not wearing one.

So if the 'freedom of choice' is really true then wearers should not be lectured as equally as non wearers shouldn't be

some people believe you shouldnt be allowed to make a decision before reading all the data? something that flies in the face of letting people make their own choice

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As Boris said above, I also insisted my children wore helmets from an early age to prevent any knocks and scrapes from those early tumbles while co-ordination and balance are perfected. I do feel a little hypocrytical for this as I don't wear, or even own, a helmet myself. They are reaching the stage now where they are getting much better at not falling off all the time, the youngest is 6 and still a little accident prone but the older 9yr old is really good and reassuringly cautious. Against my wifes wishes I am now a little lax about forcing them to helmet-up when they just go out to play on the street (a quiet cul-de-sac) but still insist on helmets when we ride into town or go on MTB rides.
I'm not sure what I would do if one of their friends wanted to join us for a ride but didn't have a helmet. I suppose it would depend on the severity of the ride?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
No, it is a personal choice. My wife's parents bought helmets for my children and I have always given them the choice as to whether they want to ride with one on or not. I don't wear one and have never insisted that they do.

Nihal

Veteran
My helmet keeps my hair from becoming an frizzy windswept mess. I highly recommend it for that - only if asked :rolleyes:
Pat if you must know...i'm a fan of military hairstyle........nothing longer than a few millimeters:laugh:

tadpole

Yes, simple as that. I'd either be dead or a veg if I hadn't worn one when a car tried to drive over me. my head hit the ground with enough force to drive a 10mm wide bolt through the shell and foam of the helmet, and 5mm into my head.

Herr-B

I wear one, I encourage my kids to wear one - even the 15 yo lad, but he asks to take it off if we are going to pass a group of girls, I'm not cruel enough to say no. :becool: I would recommend adults to wear them after proving their worth through a friends accident about ten years ago, but I wouldn't nag -that's what wives are for.

From dog and bone, using Tapatalk2.

StuartG

slower but further
I would, if I thought they would take notice, recommend that on longer trips they wore glasses and padded gloves. I would warn people about riding in the door zone. Wearing a helmet? Silence.

Spot the difference?

Drago

Legendary Member
I wear a lid - I always wear gloves/mitts and eye protection as well. I insist my kids wear a lid, though once they're adults it'll be up to them.

I don't preach, freedom of choice and all that. Conversely, I don't offer sympathy when they have a spill. It's their choice, their consequences to deal with, or not. No lectures from me, let 'em get on with it. Apart from protecting my bionic elbow with a 661 pad I don't pad-up when i go off road, and I wouldn't expect anyone to lecture me over that - it's my busienss, no theirs.

Interestingly, it's not unknown for insurers to try and push for a lower payout where the rider has received head injuries and not worn a bonce potty, on the basis of contributory negligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom