Would you?

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by screenman, 8 Aug 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Encourage somebody to wear a helmet when cycling?

2. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Would you?

Me? no. It's up to the individual concerned.
    Nothing to do with you.

3. Hector

Hector New Member

Helmets save lives.

I look upon it as a civic duty to meddle in somelse's 'cycle time' explaining the benefits of wearing a helmet.

4. Norm

Norm Guest

No, I spend more time asking people why they feel they 'Wouldn't ride without a helmet'.

McWobble and FatherCrowe like this.
  5. Cheshire Celt

Cheshire Celt Legend

Helmet for me simple as that if you don't that's down to you

6. Boris Bajic

Boris Bajic Guest

Until my children were twelve I liked them to wear one. I was advised by friends with a medical bachground that after twelve-ish the skull is tougher and better at bouncing.

During that time I often wore one to set an example. Now they are all 13-plus and they make their own decisions. One of three still wears a helmet.

I'm not sure why I'd ever advise someone to wear a helmet. I don't see them as dangerous, but I don't see them as particularly important either.

I do advise people to wear gloves and eye protection. I've had (and witnessed) plenty of issues with gravel rash on palms and nasty flying things or rain, hail, sleet, stone chipe pinging into or around the eyes.

All my kids wear gloves and glasses when riding.

ohnovino and LosingFocus like this.
  7. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

I wouldn't, individual choice. I would encourage wearing sandals though, on ones feet, natch.

8. Octet

Octet Über Member

I would wear a helmet but I'm not going to enforce it upon someone else. Yes I would recommend wearing one if someone asked but I wouldn't say they have to.

9. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Moderator

I don't think I have advised anyone to wear a helmet, but I might point out that it was pointless wearing one if they weren't going to do the strap up, or it really wasn't adjusted properly to their head. I have been known to adjust friends helmets - but tell them to wear one - NO. (Well excluding my kids when they were younger, now in their teens they can make their own mind up.)

Equally I wouldn't tell off someone for not wearing a helmet either.

10. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

presuming they were of sound mind......no

11. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

12. green1

green1 Über Member

No I'd mind my own 'kin business. We are not living in Airstrip One... Yet.

13. McWobble

McWobble Euthermic

No. I'm not quite that arrogant (possibly).

I prefer to quote statistics and papers at those who have the temerity to question me on my (lack of) head wear. It won't change their minds, but at least they'll learn that asking me silly questions leads to painful and unpleasant experiences. Think of it as a form of aversion therapy.

tyred and growingvegetables like this.
  14. lukesdad

lukesdad Guest

15. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

No.

I generally prefer to believe that people are able to think for themselves (however contrary the evidence sometimes), whether it involves helmets, P&L, fairly trivial things right up to learning high level maths. It's not anyone's job to do their thinking for them and that principal has generally led to good reception on a wide range of topics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice