Would you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Would you?

Me? no. It's up to the individual concerned.
Nothing to do with you.

Hector

Helmets save lives.

I look upon it as a civic duty to meddle in somelse's 'cycle time' explaining the benefits of wearing a helmet.

Until my children were twelve I liked them to wear one. I was advised by friends with a medical bachground that after twelve-ish the skull is tougher and better at bouncing.

During that time I often wore one to set an example. Now they are all 13-plus and they make their own decisions. One of three still wears a helmet.

I'm not sure why I'd ever advise someone to wear a helmet. I don't see them as dangerous, but I don't see them as particularly important either.

I do advise people to wear gloves and eye protection. I've had (and witnessed) plenty of issues with gravel rash on palms and nasty flying things or rain, hail, sleet, stone chipe pinging into or around the eyes.

All my kids wear gloves and glasses when riding.

Octet

Veteran
I would wear a helmet but I'm not going to enforce it upon someone else. Yes I would recommend wearing one if someone asked but I wouldn't say they have to.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't think I have advised anyone to wear a helmet, but I might point out that it was pointless wearing one if they weren't going to do the strap up, or it really wasn't adjusted properly to their head. I have been known to adjust friends helmets - but tell them to wear one - NO. (Well excluding my kids when they were younger, now in their teens they can make their own mind up.)

Equally I wouldn't tell off someone for not wearing a helmet either.

Wobblers

Euthermic
No. I'm not quite that arrogant (possibly).

I prefer to quote statistics and papers at those who have the temerity to question me on my (lack of) head wear. It won't change their minds, but at least they'll learn that asking me silly questions leads to painful and unpleasant experiences. Think of it as a form of aversion therapy.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
No.

I generally prefer to believe that people are able to think for themselves (however contrary the evidence sometimes), whether it involves helmets, P&L, fairly trivial things right up to learning high level maths. It's not anyone's job to do their thinking for them and that principal has generally led to good reception on a wide range of topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom