Wouldn't it be a Piti...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
CONI have got involved because the the sample was taken on a TdF stage that went into Italy.
Of course it's not idle speculation; according to CONI his DNA matches Puerto blood bags!

CONI are the Italian Olympic Association though aren't they, not the Italian Cycle Federation ? (and hence associated to Olypics not UCI ?)

Are they trying to match blood from the Giro to Puerto, or is that the UCI ?

I think there are organisations trying to fight doping, but it's organisations like AFLD, ASO, CONI, WADA, and there are organisations who make all the noises but would prefer to shunt it back under the carpet because it's bad publicity, like UCI.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
So why are CONI involved? How about this scenario...

The race is in Italy, hence they have jurisdiction over the sample obtained as part of the TDF controls. Analysis shows the DNA to match samples from another "cold case".
If CONI can show that "Piti" was racing in Italy at the same time that Puerto was supposedly in effect, can they charge him with "Sporting Fraud" under Italian law (as opposed to the Spanish "Public Health" legislation)?

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
andy_wrx said:
CONI are the Italian Olympic Association though aren't they, not the Italian Cycle Federation ? (and hence associated to Olypics not UCI ?)

Are they trying to match blood from the Giro to Puerto, or is that the UCI ?

I think there are organisations trying to fight doping, but it's organisations like AFLD, ASO, CONI, WADA, and there are organisations who make all the noises but would prefer to shunt it back under the carpet because it's bad publicity, like UCI.
That's why I'm curious about how it all links up. Clearly someone in CONI has got hold of the DNA profiles from Puerto and feels entitled to use them to pursue an link with samples taken by AFLD during an event run by ASO which happened to cross onto Italian territory.
I don't have a problem with any of that but it does start to look very messy and it's all too easy to imagine Mr Valverde's lawyers licking their lips and burying the whole thing under a cloud of ink. "Our client is busy preparing for the season and these proceedings have no validity in law etc etc"

Skip Madness

First of all, I think that CONI serves as more than Italy's Olympic committee, but is effectively the country's federation of sports federations. Therefore the FCI (Italian cycling federation) is associated with it. CONI deals with all national anti-doping procedures in Italy with the associated bodies, as far as I am aware..
Landslide said:
The race is in Italy, hence they have jurisdiction over the sample obtained as part of the TDF controls. Analysis shows the DNA to match samples from another "cold case".
If CONI can show that "Piti" was racing in Italy at the same time that Puerto was supposedly in effect, can they charge him with "Sporting Fraud" under Italian law (as opposed to the Spanish "Public Health" legislation)?
I would be surprised if this is the case. It rests upon, as you say, Valverde having raced in Italy prior to July 2006 (which I do not think he did - anyone remember?) and it coinciding with any evidence that he was on a doping programme. The DNA link could effectively implicate him further in the second part of that supposition, but the first part seems to me to be a major obstacle in taking it further.

I am surprised CONI have not instead handed the information to the AFLD, who would have a better chance of prosecution, which I believe French law would allow would it not? Valverde raced the Tour in 2005, and Flèche-Wallonne and Dauphiné Libéré in 2006.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chuffy said:
....it's all too easy to imagine Mr Valverde's lawyers licking their lips and burying the whole thing under a cloud of ink. "Our client is busy preparing for the season and these proceedings have no validity in law etc etc"
And then rubbishing the lab providing the match, then claiming it's all a vendetta against him...

It's a standard play book these days, I think.

Noodley

John the Monkey said:
And then rubbishing the lab providing the match, then claiming it's all a vendetta against him...

It's a standard play book these days, I think.

Not forgetting the "I've have never tested positive...." standard response.

Skip Madness

More wild speculation.
Cycling News said:
The endless "is he, isn't he?" saga concerning Alejandro Valverde and codename "Valv.Piti" appeared to have moved a step closer to a definitive decision on Thursday when the Italian Olympic Committee CONI announced that it had proved a DNA match between the Spanish rider and blood bag number 18, seized during the Operación Puerto raids in May 2006. The bag was later found to contain EPO.

"We can say with certitude that the blood in bag number 18 belongs to Valverde," said anti-doping prosecutor Ettore Torri after the doping hearing held Thursday in Rome's Olympic Stadium. He also stated that documents obtained by CONI proved a link between the Caisse d'Epargne rider and the controversial doctor Eufemiano Fuentes.
There is not much new there, is there? Apart from the certainty in Torri's words.
Upon arriving in Italy on Thursday, Valverde was placed under criminal investigation. The Spaniard was informed that the separate probe had been opened when he arrived at Rome's Olympic Stadium for his hearing.
For sporting fraud, one would presume. I am still not sure how this will go any further, though. Does Italian law cover sporting fraud committed in other countries? A bit like how if someone commits child abuse in another country (bit of a difference, I know) and avoids prosecution there they can still often be prosecuted in another country.

kennykool

Noodley said:
CONI would most likely pass the information to UCI.

...okay here's another quiz.

Which other rider linked to OP was tested during the same stage as Valverde? Clue - he has a brother called Andy. Another clue - he paid cash.

And 5 of his team mates were also tested in the same stage (allegedly).

Is it Frank? :rolleyes:

Do I win a prize Noodley or am i too late with my reply?

Top Bottom