Wow, a medal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Maybe I'm just being a grumpy old git, but:

Am I the only one who, when arriving at the finish of a Sportive (or recently a 5k run) is disappointed and bemused to be given a pointless medal. I can't think of any use for one, but am loathe to chuck it out. Hence my sock draw is now collecting a bunch of useless hunks of metal, or metal-looking pastic. Give me a cloth badge, a sticker, a drinks bottle, a banana, a commemorative spare inner tube; anything but a medal.

And breathe!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You don't have to accept one.

Onyer

Yes you are being grumpy. Imagine the future when you have a grandchild dangling on your knee and you are boring him/her senseless with "..and I got this for riding ....."

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have a collection of << medals awarded for various lame efforts in the cause of cycling enjoyment and fundraising. In fact, rather stupidly, my avatar is actually one of them (Dragon Ride 2014 Medal).

I got another one yesterday to add to my dusty drawer.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I'd be thrilled to get a medal for anything cycling related!
But then again, I haven't entered anything and probably never will.
Maybe that's a goal....(win a medal) :laugh:

OR they give you a medal made of chocolate and you can eat it afterwards!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I actually regret throwing out all the medals I got for my 10ks and half marathons when I used to run. Some of them were actually quite attractive and well made but I suppose they aren't easy to display tastefully so they usually do end up in a drawer.

U

User169

To make this more positive, what would you suggest in its place?

A bottle opener with logo would be both partly useful, and decorative.

Amstel Gold sportief "medal". In more or less daily use, although not often on Amstel bottles!

image.jpg

Top Bottom