wow anyone get many postive comments on there ebike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stul

Veteran
..yes a few people have asked, and seem generally interested.

I love my e-bike and I am really pleased I decided to get one. We had friends over yesterday that were thinking about getting one. I explained to them that in my opinion you can't really compare them to a "non powered" bike, I consider them to be a mode of transport in their own right, (hope that makes sense!).

They had a ride on ours, (first time they had "ridden electric"), and really liked them. We have the hub drive system and this seems to offer the most "natural" ride, (for us anyway!).

We are fair weather riders so they don't get much use over Winter and consequently we get "out of shape", however we still managed a "comfortable" 30 mile ride out the other day which we could never have done on our old "manual" bikes...enjoy the interest!

Some. Only had one negative 'cheating' comment, which stopped deadmin its tracks when I pointed out it wasn't even switched on and id still overtaken him on a steep climb.
I had that froma guy on a mountain bike one - he hadn;t realised it was an ebike but was trying to catch me on a long flat cycle track alongside a main road.
We got to a junction and had to stop and wait for the lights to change - so he caught me up
"Oh Thank God" he said "it's and ebike - i've just been feeling bad about not being able to catch you for the last mile or so - the motor explains it!"

Unlike you I wasn't mean enough to point out that the speed had been at about 18-19 mph the whole way - hence no motor as I was way over the cutoff speed.
If he had mentioned cheating I might not have been so kind!!!
and - of course - an ebike is WAY heavier than a normal bike - so this poor bloke on his fancy mountain bike had failed to catch an old fat bloke on a very heavy bike!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Pah, I could tell you Johnny come lately ebikers a thing or two about cheating remarks.

When I started ebiking in 2010 such remarks were relatively common, including a handful that were genuinely nasty.

Equally, I had a couple of compliments about my cycling prowess from roadies who didn't realise my steady, long climb or brisk pace on the flat was electrically assisted.

At the time, I was also new to cycling, so the apparent obsession of some cyclists about what the other bloke was doing baffled me.

Adverse remarks all but ceased three or four years ago when ebikes became more mainstream.

These days, it's more genuine interest, and even a few compliments when I'm on my Riese and Muller Charger with its Rohloff hub and other fancy bike bits.

Huh - " Johnny come lately ebikers "!!!! :rolleyes:

I got my first ebike in 2011!!
I actually never got a single 'cheater' remark except for one bloke who saw me on the front at Rhos-on-sea and came over saying "is that one of those cheating bike - what's it like????"
which doesn't really count!
probably depends on the area - where I was at the time there were not that many serious cyclists - they probably all went to the mountains! Also most people had no idea what an ebike was so probably didn't even realise it had a motor

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Not had any negative comments on my road ebike. I have had a few enquiries about its use though and what I think of it.

For my use case it works well for me and the way I use it.

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
I've been using mine daily for my 30 mile round trip hilly commute for 3 years and had a few negative comments, until I'm heading into a fierce headwind, when there is then a little line of bikes tucked in behind me. ;-)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
until I'm heading into a fierce headwind, when there is then a little line of bikes tucked in behind me.

I picked up a few friendly audaxers in similar circumstances when I was minding my own business on a ride in Lincolnshire.

So far, so good, but the real hard arse participant who passed the lot of us accused the riders behind me of cheating.

I think I must be the only ebiker who managed to get another cyclist called a cheat.

ExBromptonMan

Not an ebike but I know what you mean. I've found my Brompton is more sociable than I am. It's always getting me into conversations with people I'd rather not be talking to
I have an Electric Brompton and have had no negative comments at all. I could spend more time talking to people about it than actually riding it!
I explain I use it as a form of physio for my new knee and assistance for the one that needs replacing and ride it, wherever possible with the power at zero and use the power only if I’m struggling with pain.
I realise that my name “Ex Brompton Man” isn’t really appropriate now but I don’t think I can change it.

Top Bottom