Wow, it was busy this morning!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Amazing scenes this morning, I have honestly never seen so many cyclists on my commute before.
Firstly, as I was performing some final arsing around at the end of my drive before setting off, my friend* with the panniers sails past, then about halfway through the commute the lady I see once or twice a week coming the other way pedals into view, it was like London rush hour out there today!

*The gentleman isn't really my friend, but as I have seen him on 3 occasions in the past 8/10 weeks I feel it only right that I adopt him as my official training partner, I'm thinking of getting us matching jerseys.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Tell me about it, i saw a guy coming the other way through Shirley, then to top it off i saw another guy on an old Raleigh coming up the big hill i was going down. We're taking the roads back around here.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Very few on mine this morning - decided to crack out the MTB and went off road.

Funny old world though. Flew past a guy on a hybrid on a small section of road (me MTB with spikes and mud) and he decided to chase - SCR world eh :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yet on my commute this morning through SE London, I saw very few cyclists.....
It was drizzly wet and a little chilly.
And the traffic was horrendous.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
was great cycling home last night, passing all the different cyclists as their jackets lit up in my lights :biggrin:
i must admit my farmers route (same one mosscommuter takes) is getting rather busy!

Edge705

Where I live you find most cyclists commute using the busy roads but i choose the the so called safer option and use the promenade (going to work) and country lanes (going home) these are what I call the faster routes which allow me to keep peddaling and which give more room for traffic to manouver past me this in tun leads to less confrontation and or frustration on my part.

However Ive made some observations because I have on occasion taken the "city route" as I nicknamed it - I cant sympathise enough with cyclists who commute during rush hours along populated routes its almost an obstacle course dodging traffic and pedestrians it would drive me bonkers if I had to do it everyday. I would challenge any police traffic officer to ride a cycle for just one week during peak periods and note down the traffic offenses and bad driving techniques he would fill his little black book.

This morning Im turning right on a mini roundabout you know those little plops of white tarmac dumped in a circle in the middle of a road. Im on the roundabout and a car to my right drives towards me as if Im not there - I pause and look into her eyes forcing her to slow and reassess her position but she drives on regardless until she has to almost stop she then manouveres around me to go forward quite incredible but the reaction on her face was one of "why are you on the road cyclist move over let me past" had this been a major roundabout she would have stopped and checked for trafic coming from her right but these so called traffic calming/keep moving mini roundabouts just create confusion for most drivers

But coming back to the OP for some reason ive noticed the traffic is really busy this last week or so both on my quiet commute and the busy roads perhapas its because not many people take hols during the period between half term and xmas

Anyway finishing my rant I do take my hat off to all those who tackle their daily commutes using main roads

Hicky

Guru
Outside my building(Uni) the stands are that full the students have taken to using the fencing(steel) as an anchor point.....everyone must use knog type lights as I dont see many mounting brackets :ohmy:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Did not see any other cyclists on the way home at 5 .30 am , mind you it was pissing it down on a single track country lane .

On a plus point 2 cars coming the other way pulled into pass points rather than trying to squeeze through , i did not think i was going that fast uphill :smile:

Xiorell

Über Member
I hardly ever see others.
There was one guy I overtook on the way to work at about 6.15am the other week... then a while before that I overtook my mate, he was riding his MTB along the pavement (arse) I was going the same way on the road next to him.
Other than that it would seem to be just yoofs wheeling around the streets at 8mph while talking on a mobile.

I saw a guy from LBS out on a bike once and one time I was going the opposite direction to a bunch of club riders

Top Bottom