WOW..........that is an old bike !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I did a 35 mile "charity" ride on Sunday...........cool and fine rain but stops for bacon butties etc.
One rider was on a bike** he got given to him when he was just 13...........he is 73 now. It was 2nd hand when he got it.
It was a Raleigh. 3 speed with sturmy archer gears with the lever on the cross bar.
It had the original dynamo lights which still worked.
**This wasn't a gimmick.........this is his normal every-day bike.....he doesn't have another one. His (logical) argument........."it works-why should I change it"??

hoopdriver

Guru
Good for him! What a lovely story.

And he's quite right too - why change it?

Oxo

Guru
A lovely story and I agree with the sentiments expressed by others

Why then have I recently bought yet another new bike?

wisdom

Guru
It was built in the day when just a wipe over with an oily rag was all that was needed to keep it shiny.

tyred

Legendary Member
I met a 70+ year old woman coming on a Raleigh loop frame in the Dulough Pass yesterday. What nice to see really. She had a headscarf and a basket of groceries. 1930s timewarp in motion and she was going at a decent speed too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Look after them and they will. People change because better comes along due to advancing technology. I've never worn a bike out.

Exactly. You just need to look after it like a simple machine it is, even with electronics plugged in. It's a simple machine, even MTB's with suspension.

tyred

Legendary Member
Look after them and they will. People change because better comes along due to advancing technology. I've never worn a bike out.

The thing is though is that the bike in question is probably all original components apart from tyres, tubes and brakepads. A 3 speed drive train runs pretty much indefinitely without any of the hassle of looking after a derailleur system. No need to continuously monitor chainwear as it really doesn't matter.

Top Bottom