Wow! What a difference.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Crikey 60mm from 110mm, that's a big difference, at least it has helped.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like the bike might have been too big to start with, but good to find a simple fix

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have often wondered about that as I always ride with my weight on both hands. Maybe I should shorten the stem on my bikes too.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have often wondered about that as I always ride with my weight on both hands. Maybe I should shorten the stem on my bikes too.
As well as a shorter stem you need your saddle far enough back so you should be able to ride without holding onto the bar in your normal on the hoods position so enough weight is behind your centre of gravity to keep weight of your hands .

gbb

Legendary Member
I run a 60mm stem on my Ribble, chosen deliberately to replicate the saddle to bars distance on a former bike that worked very well for me...and it still does on the Ribble.

OP
OP
L

Lochen

Sounds like the bike might have been too big to start with

I believed it to be a size too big when I bought it. Such a bargain though I took advice and bought it suspecting a shorter stem might be the order of the day.
Although my LBS chap thinks the frame is the correct size as it turns out.

Just happy I've got it comfy. The gamble paid off. If it hadn't, I could get what I paid for it if I had to sell it. Was less than 60% of list price.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I believed it to be a size too big when I bought it. Such a bargain though I took advice and bought it suspecting a shorter stem might be the order of the day.
Although my LBS chap thinks the frame is the correct size as it turns out.

Just happy I've got it comfy. The gamble paid off. If it hadn't, I could get what I paid for it if I had to sell it. Was less than 60% of list price.
It didn't look that big to me compared to you in the photos that you posted elsewhere.

How tall are you and what size is the frame?

bikeman66

I must admit, my first impression when I saw the photographs you posted on the other thread, were that, if anything, the bike looked slightly small!

Just goes to show ehhh?

vickster

Legendary Member
Which part of the bike determines the 'sizing' though? Manufacturers use different bits, could be TT, downtube etc. Depends on the overall geometry

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Which part of the bike determines the 'sizing' though? Manufacturers use different bits, could be TT, downtube etc. Depends on the overall geometry
I was thinking that might explain it ... MY bikes are 58 cm horizontal top tubes, measured centre to centre.

We still have the question of how a bike that looks small can feel big!

Top Bottom