wrapping a bike up for a flight in a bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Whjen flying does one generally need to remove things like water bottles from cages, cable locks etc? I am thinking I will lock up the bike to itself witht he cable locks which will also free up some weight from my baggage allowance. Also is it allowed to tape a multi tool to the frame for ease of access the other end?

robjh

Legendary Member
In reply to Dragon72, that's exactly what I did. I rang up BA first and they confirmed this was all I needed to do ( and for good measure I got them to 'reserve' the bike on my ticket, no charge for this ). The airport staff were excellent, and ay Gatwick (this year) and Heathrow (last year) were not at all surprised to see me wheeling the bike up.

On the return legs, from Bucharest and Sofia, the local staff were a bit more surprised but handled it all calmly and professionally. In Bucharest they provided a large plastic bag to put the bike in.

The unknown bit starts once you hand it over at the outsize baggage area. Sometimes they wheel it off out of sight, sometimes it goes on a belt - and then you just hope. The only problem so far was at Gatwick, where it went on the belt and promptly got stuck on a 90 degree bend, and the staff started poking the bike with broom handles to get it round, before freeing it by nudgling the belt back and forth. It came out the other end with scuffing on the handlebars and bar-end shifter, ie. nothing too serious, but also a damaged link in the chain which I didn't spot immediately. As it was only one, I removed it and then carried on touring without further difficulties.

So it's certainly not without risk to the bike, but the experience has still been generally positive and I wouldn't hesitate to use BA again ( though I'm more reticent about going back to Gatwick ).

DaveT

Über Member
On a similar note has anyone here have any experience with packing bikes with easyjet? They say a box is required but this going to be a PITA getting rid of the box at one end and finding a replacement for the journey home, has anyone just turned up with the bike in a bag instead?

jay clock

Massive member
Easyjet do not require a box

Website says "The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag "

My clear bag method has been used many times by me, and I print the webpage in colour so they can see my bag has been sold as a bike bag. I also print the full airline rules in case they try one on

jay clock

Massive member
on another note BA changed their rules recently

main info here http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb

"One piece of sporting equipment should weigh no more than 23kg* and should not exceed the dimensions (H+W+L): 158cm (62in). "

It is well nigh impossible to get a bike on BA now if the rules are followed. But I met a guy in NZ who did by turning bars sideways, whipping off pedals, and in it went. Personally I would not risk flying with BA with a bike.

robjh

Legendary Member
Hi Jay
I travelled on BA only a couple of weeks ago, which was why I took the trouble to ring them up and quizz them before travelling as I'd seen the website too.
The staff were adamant that the policy handn't in fact changed despite what the website appeared to say, and they were as good as their word.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

well I've just wrapped mine up. Poly bag from CTC, took off the de rallieur and wrapped it in foam and taped it to the frame. Turned the bars in lowered the saddle, took off the pedals and strapped them to the pannier rack where I have also strapped my multi tool and pedal spanner. Then I ran two combination locks through the wheels frame, saddle and pannier racks and taped the bag closed.

Then I made sure it will fit in the back of the car, which it does...only thing is that when it's inside I cant fit the box with all my bags in doh:blush::eek::biggrin:

idealpaul

I've just travelled on flybe, I bought a ctc bag but found it depressingly large and heavy to carry on bike with other luggage so wrapped bike in clingfilm instead (along with the standard turning bars, removing pedals etc.) This worked fine, and on this limited experience of one trip I would suggest it as a solution for those wishing to travel as light as possible. As I understand it the function of the bag/box from the airlines point of view is to stop the bikes dirt rubbing off on other passengers fancy luggage, and generous clingfilm does this just as well.

jasper

I always cover the rear mech with a plastic bottle (like others on here), drop the saddle, drop the bars and turn 90 degs, remove the pedals, deflate the tyres & remove the wheels, fit spacers to the forks and rear stays, then cover all frame tubes in foam pipe lagging (bought from plumber's merchants, B&Q, etc...comes in different sizes). Drinks bottles are left in the cages on the bike. Then I put the lot into a Bioracer bike bag, which holds the wheels either side of the frame. Also in the bag is my track pump and toolkit. I mark the bag as Fragile.

Before you start to dismantle anything, mark a line with a marker pen so that you know exactly your position. Nothing worse than playing around with your setup at the other end when you could be training/racing. It takes 5 mins to put everything back together at the other end.

I used the above method to fly to Germany, Switzerland, Ireland, Canada, Cyprus, Ascension and the Falklands without any mishaps whatsoever.

Bodhbh

Guru
Taking ferry over to Hook of Holland in a couple of days and biking over to a friend in Germany near Karlsrule. Flying back from there on Ryanair and not sorted with a bike bag as of yet. It seems with those CTC bags they only take a cheque and will never get it delivered on time now anyhow. These sort of polystyrene bags are easily available in bike shops on the continent? Otherwise I guess it's risking the cling film, first time I'm taking a bike on a plane...

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I just flew back from Montpellier this morning and they didnt even make me remove the pedals, which was lucky because not even superman could remove them. Bike arrived in good condition and I rode home from Stanstead no probs.

AndrewClark

Veteran
Bodhbh said:
Taking ferry over to Hook of Holland in a couple of days and biking over to a friend in Germany near Karlsrule. Flying back from there on Ryanair and not sorted with a bike bag as of yet. It seems with those CTC bags they only take a cheque and will never get it delivered on time now anyhow. These sort of polystyrene bags are easily available in bike shops on the continent? Otherwise I guess it's risking the cling film, first time I'm taking a bike on a plane...

I ordered one last week from the CTC shop, paid for it online (Switch) and it arrived a day or so later.

Pipe lagging and cheap foam camping mats are your friend as well............

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I carried the CTC poly bag down the length of both Germany and France this summer. On the french tour I rolled it up into the bag that came for my alpmat and it then sits on top of my rear rack under the sleep mat. The Alpmat then goes inside a rear bag. At first I resented the extra weight but the poly bag has several other useful functions as well..

It makes a good ground sheet folded double

It acts as a good bike cover en route while the bike is left outside overnight so that it doesnt attract all the morning dew and/or rain

It works as one of those 'survival' bags in case of emergency
It can go over your tent in a real heavy downpour...although i have never needed to

If you spread it out on the ground overnight it will collect the dew enough to drink in true ray mears style!

Top Bottom