Wrapping cloth tape over double sided - bad idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
This is the stuff l use, and at £1.32 per set including bar end plugs and free postage. It has quite a soft but positive feel to the grip ! It's a "piece of cake " to wrap. I have it on all my bikes in plain matt black. Whats not to like ? Unless you have the " oh no it's from China, what awfully bad taste, l couldn't possibly have it anywhere near my precious bicycle, what would people think of me attitude :whistle:
The bar end plugs are rubbish but you can't have everything !
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handleba...hash=item5d8eaf240e:m:mAxeTGTVyK_r76AZJiDsMHQ

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
This is the stuff l use, and at £1.32 per set including bar end plugs and free postage. It has quite a soft but positive feel to the grip ! It's a "piece of cake " to wrap. I have it on all my bikes in plain matt black. Whats not to like ? Unless you have the " oh no it's from China, what awfully bad taste, l couldn't possibly have it anywhere near my precious bicycle, what would people think of me attitude :whistle:
The bar end plugs are rubbish but you can't have everything !
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handleba...hash=item5d8eaf240e:m:mAxeTGTVyK_r76AZJiDsMHQ
Wow that’s cheap, is it adhesive backed tape?

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Your only faux pas would be to use any colour but white. :thumbsdown:

White just isn't an option for me. I guarantee I'll fiddle with something oily and then transfer the black finger marks to the newly done bar tape within a week at the outside. I don't have light coloured carpets either!

why not try some black leather look perforated tape. I wrapped the bars on my Genesis Day One in the caramel colour, it’s not too thick, includes bar end plugs/finishing tape and costs £5 plus post from Planet X.

View attachment 487149

Not sure about the caramel colour version of the tape but the paint job on that Genesis is lovely!

Tressorex is self adhesive and can be repositioned. Regarding wrap going from the stem out is often known as the 'Raleigh wrap' as that's how they did it.

Well seeing as its going on a Raleigh bike I'd better make sure I apply it the Raleigh way! Thinking about it, most of my bkes are Nottingham's finest, but the Royal is my only drop bar Raleigh.

This is the stuff l use, and at £1.32 per set including bar end plugs and free postage. It has quite a soft but positive feel to the grip ! It's a "piece of cake " to wrap. I have it on all my bikes in plain matt black.

I nearly ordered some of that earlier, but wasn't sure. Since you recommend it, and knowing how fussy you are about your bikes - I'll take a punt and see if I like it. It's cheap enough to not worry about if I don't..

U

User169

You can shellac cloth tape it if you're worried about grubbiness. Twine finish for a classy look.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Wow that’s cheap, is it adhesive backed tape?
No it hasn't an adhesive backing but if you start wrapping at the bar ends and keep a fairly constant tension on the tape as you go , it sort of clings to itself. Just make sure you have the short bit that fills any potential gaps when negotiating the brakes and that you roll back the brake hoods before you start, that way you can wrap in one seamless (no pun intended) go !
Just be prepared for a bit of a wait since it is coming direct from China !

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Bars are generally wrapped from the ends towards the stem. Otherwise your hands lift the edges and it's uncomfortable. On the tops, the tape must come over the bar towards you, or climbing on the tops will loosen it.

If you're using cotton tape, you might as well get two colours and have a go at harlequin wrap.

When I first wrapped bars some time in the 1960s it was always stem out.

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Veteran
What an idiot I am. I’ve often wondered why there’s usually a couple of offcuts in the box. Thanks.
Bit of a gloomy photo but this is what the black cheapo-Chinese bar tape looks like on the bars ....
IMG_1322.jpg

Top Bottom