WRC Wales Rally - Anyone going ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anyone going ?

Me and my son are going for the first time. Our caravan is a good base.

Son finishes college at 4pm on Thursday, so the plan is pick him up from there and try and get down Wales for the Tir Prince raceway opening stage (buy tickets on the door) as our caravan is just down the coast (8 miles).

Friday is already booked and we are going to Slate Mountain, so an early start to arrive in Ffestiniog about 6:30 for the cars to start racing around 10:40. Saturday is to pop down to the Service area in Deeside (about 15 miles from the caravan) to see the cars coming back for repairs around 1pm, then Sunday is another early get up for the Llandudno stage and rally finish.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I can hear the rally going past or very near my home every year. This year one of the lanes that i bimble down will be closed for the rally. I don't have to pay to see and hear it. :laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
You'll see more action on a Cardiff council estate after midnight!!

Never been to a WRC type rally, should be a lot of Wow moments.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'm going. It'll be my 39th consecutive visit if I've counted it correctly.
The plan is to go to Cloceanog on Thursday night, sleep in the car and watch both stages before I head home.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I went to a Welsh forest stage of the RAC Rally in the days of the Flying Finns.

Impressive driving skills to see them hammering along inches from trees, ditches, and dry stone walls.

But an otherwise miserable experience, it being wet, cold, and muddy.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Had fun at Tir Prince raceway - my car is now thick in dust as we parked near one of the corners..

Off to slate mountain tomorrow and going to try and get to Penmachno for the later stage there.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'm currently camped in Clocaenog about to turn in. I've read the paper, had a couple of beers and I'm looking forward to tomorrow.
Judging by the tracks on the way in, it'll be dry and dusty and just wrong.
Not as many cars here as I was expecting.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

One of the drivers being interviewed said it was odd that it was dry. The commentator did say it was promised. My car is a complete mess, but it's going to stay that way. We're setting of about 5:30 for Ffestiniog and should be there around 6:30-7:00 - cars not coming till 10:40.

Camping stove, heinz beans and sausages, hot choc, snacks, sandwiches, oh and my mocca pot for fresh ground coffee.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Live from the side of a wet mountain
20181005_073804.jpg

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Wet wet wet.

Currently drying 2 digital SLR's, a phone and associated lenses out. Covered up my son's older camera up, but the lens/filter eventually steamed up and water got in the focus ring stopping manual focus. Sons new camera was fine (same lens), Just too wet.

We were well wrapped up and sat under a brolly for about 3 hours cooking breakfast etc. We and another chap were first there. Unfortunately, it was very misty (pea soup) and wet, so whilst stood up, all the rain ran off our jackets down our trousers (which weren't waterproof). Even wet gortex boots - water down trousers, socks and into shoe.

Enjoyed it, and we didn't try and do another stage as we were shattered. You realise just how much different the WRC cars, and drivers are to the other class vehicles. The noise was amazing in the slate mine, sounded like a very angry giant bee coming out of the mist.

Top Bottom